Zotero beta: spell checker not working on Mac

On a Macbook air with M1, I notice that the spell checker does not work even if set to work. Don't have this problem with my Windows machine.
  • See Reporting Problems for the two things we need.
  • Hi, thank you for the quick reply. Here's the requested info.

Report ID: 830921630.

Steps to reproduce the problem: (1) Make sure the spell checker is active and relevant dictionaries installed; (2) create an item note or standalone note; (3) start writing. Misspelled words will not be detected and underlined.
  • Sorry, but that’s not specific enough. See Step 2 on the linked page.
  • Fine, let's try again.

Report ID: 830921630.

Misspelled words written in any type of note remain unmarked as if the new spell-checking function weren't there or was not activated.

Steps to reproduce the problem:
    (1) Right-click anywhere inside a note.
    (2) Make sure the spell checker is active (or select "check spelling") and dictionaries relative to the languages you use are installed (in my case English, French, Italian).
    (3) Create a new item note or standalone note.
    (4) Start writing.

Misspelled words will not be marked with the typical red wiggly line.

Issue occurs with Zotero 5.0.97-beta.59+abe8c39c5 running on a Macbook Air with M1 processor and 8/256gb memory.
  • I'm wondering if extensions.spellcheck.inline.max-misspellings isn't set to 0, which was a common practice in past. @sacha73 can you check what value that preference has? See https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences
  • @martynas_b, thank you very much for your suggestion! That was it, indeed! I set that parameter to 0 so long ago that I had forgotten about it.

Problem solved.
  • (We'll be resetting that value before Zotero 6 is out, but we're waiting to do it until we've enabled the new note editor by default.)