beta version and updates/changes to tagging?

My tagging categorizations have become useless, because several PDFs or other sources have caused tags to be added, even though I had this feature 'supposedly' turned off as an option (ie to bring in tags from a doc).

I've read that this issue is a technical issue between the import process and how various document use/declare tagging. Consequently, tags may be added to your zot tags when you do not want this to occur.

As can be seen by a comment by dstillman below in an old post, changes were planned for tagging. Where can I read about how tagging has been improved for the latest zot beta? Mainly, can we indeed stop ALL automatic additions to a customer's defined tags?

"The Zutilo plugin can remove all tags from selected items. (A future version of Zotero will include that capability as a built-in feature.)"

• There haven't been any changes to tagging in the beta.

If you can reproduce tags being added when you don't expect them, tell us the exact steps you're following and we'll tell you if there's anything to be done about it.

The main thing we've said is that, if you import a RIS/BibTeX/etc. file, you'll end up with manual tags if any tags are included in the file, since there's no way of differentiating between different types of tags in those formats.
  • Yes, that's it regarding RIS etc.
    So, if there is no way to stop this from occurring I'll just delete all of my tags via the method you suggested.

One work-around for me was to use the 'language' attribute under the 'Info' tab. Because I only work in english, I don't use this field. Consequently I can put tags into that field. I have a set of tags I created which are fine-grained categories in my research. Each category has an abbreviation such as WB for wellbeing. I then put a #WB in the language field, or use one of the many other custom tags all prefixed with '#'.

I can then put the cursor at a top parent in my collection hierarchy and find all entries under that by searching for #WB, or #whatever

I can explain further if that is not clear, and if you think this may be useful to others then you can publish this as a tag work-around.
  • Since you brought this up elsewhere, I just want to clarify that this only happens if you're manually importing RIS/etc. files, which isn't the normal way of adding things to Zotero.

We have an open ticket for adding an option to the import wizard for whether to treat tags from a file as automatic tags (which would be skipped if the automatic-tags preference was off).
  • In your link the section "Adding PDFs and Other Files" is how I do 95% of my imports. I find the PDFs (academic journal articles) via many methods, download them to my PC, then drag and drop into zot and into the collection I want.

Yes, that open ticket may be 'my ticket' to solving the tagging mess.

Thx for your persistence and patients. I've worked IT as a DB admin. Users can be a real pain.
  • In your link the section "Adding PDFs and Other Files" is how I do 95% of my imports.
    1) OK, but that's really not the recommended way of using Zotero, which is to use the Zotero Connector for most things. See the top section on the linked page.

2) Dragging in PDFs and using metadata retrieval isn't what I was talking about above and shouldn't import automatic tags as manual tags. As I said, it's RIS/BibTeX/etc. import that does this. If you can reproduce it happening some other way, we'd want exact Steps to Reproduce.
  • Ohhhh no. Don't do that to me! Don't give me a link, then say, "that's not the recommended way". Plz. That hurts.
    We'd all love to have it both ways.
    No. Who says, that is, what proof do you have that the Connector is what is most common? Then so what anyway!
    Drag is and drop is documented. If it is not to be used, or only to be used with caution, or only to be used a certain way, and with that 'certain way', then it must be used knowing what risk you are taking... then say so.

Ok, I'm getting a bit, well.. back to the subject... maybe it was a RIS I did on the 5% occasion I use RIS (or whatever). Maybe it was. I'm not a zot tester/debugger. If there is an option to NOT import tags (as there is), then that is what I expect. End of discussion.

I don't trust the zot tagging process (maybe because of an exception import process on myside (RIS or whatever)), and I don't have time, not being paid, and have no desire to help trace/debug an issue... BECAUSE, It was more efficient for me to create my own tagging process (as described) with the "language" hack. Especially after you stated that 'the exception', whatever it or they may be, is not likely to be fixed.

I don't like hacking any more than you like (approve of ) users hacking, instead of using zot properly.

Plz fix the tagging exception (as well as a method to clean up of the mess), and don't imply that it is my fault.
  • edited April 12, 2022
    Don't give me a link, then say, "that's not the recommended way".
    I mean, the page is pretty clear on this:
    To use Zotero properly, you need to install the Zotero Connector for Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, in addition to the Zotero desktop app. See Downloads.

The Zotero Connector's save button is the most convenient and reliable way to add items with high-quality bibliographic metadata to your Zotero library.
    Obviously the other methods documented there are supported and work, but the page means what it says.

Anyway, you're mostly ignoring what I'm saying, so I'm not going to waste more time on this. I already explained months ago the one case where this happens — importing from formats like RIS or BibTeX — and the reasons for it. It's not "a mess". It's just a basic fact of how the formats work, with there being no notion of automatic vs. manual tags. And as I said, we have an open ticket to make it possible to skip tags when importing from such files. There's nothing more to say here.
  • (using the language field 'off label' will cause incorrect citations, specifically by disabling automated title case)