collections/folders move by themselves

Plz don't start with ... I must be moving them mistakenly.
Zotero crashed several times. On the latest crash I sent the error log.
Folders are relocating randomly.
What is the next step to trouble shoot?
  • What exactly do you mean by crash? If by error log you mean Zotero's report error, you'd have to post the ID here.
    And by move you mean subcollections move to different collections? Have you checked database integrity from the advanced tab of the preferences?
    Here is the latest. Zot stops with and error and says to restart. Sub collections are moving to odd locations randomly.
    For this error I used the control key to find where a file was located, then the error occurred.
  • running integrity check now.
    How long does it take?
  • Should I restart then run integrity, or run it with the error/start message still present - the latter is what I did.
    Still running
  • oh... just came back with a message 'No errors found in database'.
  • Ok @dstillman will need to look at the error report to say more
  • Another error when using the Ctl key to locate an item within the collection hierarchy
  • The same error is repeating...

[JavaScript Error: "An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero.

You can report this error by selecting "Report Errors…" from the Help menu."]

[JavaScript Error: "this.crash@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:1241:21
    Zotero.CollectionTreeView.prototype.expandToCollection<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/collectionTreeView.js:1078:7
    tryCatcher@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js:16:16
    module.exports/PromiseSpawn.prototype._promiseFulfilled@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/generators.js:97:18
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:609:17
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise0@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:649:5
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromises@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:729:13
    _drainQueueStep@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:93:9
    _drainQueue@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:86:9
    Async.prototype._drainQueues@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:102:5
    Async/this.drainQueues@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:15:9
    "]

version => 5.0.96.3, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.96.3, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.25.SA.5.0.96.3, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.19.SA.5.0.96.3, extension), Shockwave Flash (10.0.2.54, plugin)
  • No errors/relocations/crash for a bit now.
    I have to leave, will be gone for several hours.
    Is there a backup or something I should do when I get back to secure my years of work? I do regular system backups, so I'm speaking of a Zot specific procedure.

The Ctl key thing is a bit different (maybe related). I didn't notice that until I 'lost' my collections and started hunting them done by using the control key on files to try to locate where they 'went', ie relocated to.

I'm just glad nothing has been lost, and no relocations have occurred for a bit.

So, the originating error (which I did not sent to you) occurred after I 'lost' a collection, found it, then moved it back. Sometime after moving folders around the error occurred.
  • That crash is due to invalid collection nesting, and it should be repaired automatically on restart.

Can you 1) trigger the crash and 2) provide a Debug ID for the next restart, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • Yes, restarts are taking longer.
    I'll follow your direction when I get back.
  • edited December 17, 2021
    @bolejj: Oh, if you're not getting it now, then it was likely just automatically repaired.

Incorrect nesting shouldn't happen, of course, and it's hard to say what triggered it, but if you're not getting it now you should be good, unless you can get it to happen again via some specific action.
  • Is there a backup or something I should do when I get back to secure my years of work? I do regular system backups, so I'm speaking of a Zot specific procedure.
    Automated full system backups are what we recommend.

https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_data
  • My collection structure is extensive. Probably 250 or so collections/folder, with 3830 items.
  • The Zotero beta (which will become Zotero 6) includes a new collections tree, so hopefully whatever bug allowed the incorrect nesting is just fixed in that.
  • I will follow your instructions for restarting when I get back, but was using it now before I have to leave and got another error. This time when creating a new collection.
  • edited December 17, 2021
    [JavaScript Error: "Cannot move collection into itself!" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/collection.js" line: 265}]
    OK, so this is still being actively triggered somehow.

If your DB integrity check is passing, I would encourage you to install the Zotero beta. Something isn't working properly for you in 5.0.96.3, but there likely won't be further updates to that, so your best bet is to upgrade to the beta with the new collections tree. If the problem continues in the beta, we can debug it further.
  • I've been using zot today without problems. Thus far issues seems to have resolved itself/themselves... thus far.

I'll do the upgrade and follow the listed instructions should I see further issues.
  • Everything seems back to normal.