Unlinking Citations

I can’t seem to unlink citations using Zotero. It keeps giving me the error message, “you must insert a citation before performing this operation.” I have lots of citations already in my document. Zotero is open so that’s not the problem. I checked the document preference and it is correct. I am using the latest version of Zotero, and Windows 10.

I did a search for this topic but all I saw were posts regarding zotero unlinking citations. This is not what my problem is.
  • Or I guess you're saying you're actually trying to use Zotero's Unlink Citations function? The linked page is still relevant — if you're getting that message, your citations are already unlinked as far as Zotero is concerned and there's nothing more for it to do. If they don't look unlinked to you, it likely still means something happened to the document to break them, and you'd have to use your word processor to modify them further (e.g., stripping any remaining field codes).
  • I tried stripping any remaining field codes from my MS Word 2016 document (Shift+CTRL+9)and nothing happened.

I also tried the link you gave me. I copy/pasted it to show what I did step-by-step.

I have tried using the solutions below with no success.
    If you've previously used one of Zotero's word processor plugins to insert citations into a document and later find that 1) the plugin says “You must insert a citation before performing this operation.”, 2) the bibliography doesn't contain all citations in the document, or 3) references in a numeric citation style start from 1 instead of from an appropriate higher number, the existing citations in the document may no longer be active fields.
    the plugin says “You must insert a citation before performing this operation.”
    You can confirm that fields in a document are no longer active by clicking them and looking for a gray highlight (Word/LibreOffice) or “Edit with Zotero” popup (Google Docs). In Word and LibreOffice, you can also try toggling field codes.

------
    I tried this hyperlink and it said, “this topic does not exist yet.”

------
    I am using Word 2016 and using alt-F9 didn’t work for me. It just took me to another page.
    -------

Your citations may have become inactive for a few reasons:
    1. You used the “Unlink Citations” button. This button will disconnect your document from Zotero and convert all citations and bibliographies to plain text.

------
    Yes, I used the unlink citations button. I wanted to unlink the citations, but it didn’t work, hence my post in this forum.
    ------

2. You saved the document in an unsupported file type:
    o When using Word, you need to save your document as .docx. If you save as .odt, active citations will be lost.

------
    I saved My Word 2016 document in .docx
    ------

o When using LibreOffice, if you are storing citations as ReferenceMarks (the default), you must save your document as .odt. If storing citations as Bookmarks, you must save your document as .docx.
    3. You (or someone else) opened and saved your document using an unsupported word processor or without following proper steps to move active citations between supported word processors:

------
    No, nobody saved the document in an unsupported word file, and none of the italicized information below applies to me.
    ------

o Google Docs: If you want to open a Word or LibreOffice document in Google Docs, or vice versa, you must follow an extra step to transfer the document. Directly opening a Word or LibreOffice document in Google Docs, or vice versa, will break existing citations.

o Other online word processors: Most online word processors do not support Fields/ReferenceMarks/Bookmarks. Opening an existing document in these tools will break connections with Zotero. Microsoft's Word Online does support Fields and so can be used safely with Word documents containing Zotero fields, though a Zotero plugin is not currently available for Word Online.
    o Pages: Apple Pages does not support Fields/ReferenceMarks/Bookmarks. Opening a document in Pages will break connections with Zotero.

o Word: If you open an .odt file (created by LibreOffice) in Word, Zotero references stored as ReferenceMarks (the default) will be broken. To share a document between Word and LibreOffice users, change the “Store Citations as:” option in the Zotero Document Preferences to Bookmarks. (Bookmarks can cause errors if accidentally modified, so they should only be used if compatibility between Word and LibreOffice is necessary. You can also choose to transfer the document instead.)

o LibreOffice: If you open a .docx or .doc file (created by Word) in LibreOffice, Zotero references stored as Fields (the default) will be broken. To share a document between Word and LibreOffice users, change the “Store Citations as:” option in the Zotero Document Preferences to Bookmarks. (Bookmarks can cause errors if accidentally modified, so they should only be used if compatibility between Word and LibreOffice is necessary. You can also choose to transfer the document instead.)

4. If you're using Google Docs, see Why isn’t Zotero detecting my existing Google Docs citations? for other possible reasons.

If you find that your citations have been flattened, your only options are to restore the document from a backup, re-insert the citations using the plugin, or manually edit the document's citations and bibliography going forward. If reinserting citations, it may help to adjust Word field settings to always highlight fields in gray rather than only doing so when they are selected.
    If your bibliography is flattened but your citations are still active, you can simply insert a new bibliography by clicking Add/Edit Bibliography.

------
    No, my citations have not been flattened. No I do not have a bibliography in my book.
    ------

• edited December 16, 2021
    I am using Word 2016 and using alt-F9 didn’t work for me. It just took me to another page.
    I don't know what you mean by "took me to another page" — that Word shortcut toggles between showing field text and field codes. The shortcut for flattening fields is Ctrl+Shift+F9. Beware that this will flatten all fields in the document, indiscriminately.

Unlink Citations should flatten all the fields that are Zotero citations. That should normally work fine, but if your document was already corrupted somehow, it might have failed.
  • When I say it took me to another page. Example: I am on page 9 in my book, and when I use alt-F9 it takes me to page 12.

I previously typed ctrl-shift-9 in error. I tried ctrl-shift-F9 but nothing happened. I don't know what flattening fields is anyway, but I tried it to see if it would do any good.

I wish information on here was not so technical. I am not an expert software engineer. I am a non-expert with average computer literacy. It seems that the info is mainly cookie-cutter solutions and I have a feeling my issue is unique because the solutions don't seem to match what I am encountering.
    Ctrl-Shift-F9 should flatten all fields. If it’s not, that would be a Word problem, and we wouldn’t be the ones to help you with it.

Again, Unlink Citations is normally all you need to do. If it didn’t work for you, that means there’s a problem with your document, and that gets into Word troubleshooting, not Zotero troubleshooting. These are standard Word shortcut keys, not Zotero functions, and if they don’t work that’s a Word problem.
    If you want to upload an excerpt of your document and link to it, someone might be able to look at the document and help you.

But it might help if you start by explaining what the actual problem is. In what way are the citations not unlinked? What makes you say that Unlink Citations didn’t work?
  • I find it odd that when a solution is not successful its never Zotero's fault, its always the word processor's fault.

I tested Zotero by creating a new document and ceated a new footnote, then I tried to unlink it, and it looked like it was processing, but after it finished nothing happened and the footnote remained. I tried the unlink button again and then it gave me the same error message. According to Zotero there are no citations. This is very frustrating. I didn't save the file the first time, but then the second time I saved it as a 2016 Word file. Zotero gave me the same response, it pretended it was processing and when it stopped the footnote was still there. I think its definitely Zotero.

dstillman, have you tried creating a new document and putting a random footnote, then tried to unlink it? Can you please try it and let me know if it works for you? I'm assuming you have Word 2016, or better. I have the Home and Student 2016 version.

I thought it was the preference I am using. Chicago manual style 17 edition (full note), but I tried a different one and still not working. Its hard to believe that Word 2016 is corrupted, or has bugs that make it not fully compatible with Zotero.

• I think there's a misunderstanding here. "Unlinking citations" does not mean that the citation text is removed from your document, only that the underlying field codes that associate them with Zotero are. After unlinking you are only left with static text (as if you had typed it yourself) and you cannot edit the inserted citations with Zotero anymore. After unlinking you are left with a document with no traces of Zotero use. You usually want to do that before submitting your paper.

Zotero does not provide a feature that completely removes all citations along with their text from your document (as that would defeat the purpose of having used Zotero in the first place).

What was it that you were trying to accomplish in the first place and why?
  • Well, I know it can be done because in previous versions of Zotero, and on another computer I was able to remove all footnotes and left the Word document with all footnotes removed.

I don't know what you mean by field codes, but all I want to do is what I have accomplished before. I just want to get rid of all the footnotes, but sounds like you are saying that its not possible. So, either I'm not explaining what I want to do clearly enough for you to understand, or you just don't know what I am trying to do.
  • Zotero never had a function that allowed you to remove all footnotes. You are misremembering.

Zotero uses a Word feature called fields, which allows to store additional information "underneath" text. Zotero uses this information to format and reformat your citations when inserting and editing them, changing citation styles and others. Unlinking citations removes that hidden information - the field codes.

If you have a version of the document before you unlinked citations, you can go into Zotero Document Preferences and change the citation style from one that uses footnotes to one that does not, but in that case your citations in footnotes will be moved to appear in-text and will be reformatted for that citing style, which doesn't seem like what you want to do.

Footnotes themselves are a Word feature. You can insert them manually for your own notes and Zotero uses them for certain citation styles. Zotero does not and never had a feature that allowed you to remove all footnotes, or footnotes that contained Zotero citations, or anything that otherwise removed all Zotero citations in footnotes or in-text. It only ever had and still has a feature to unlink citations (which I explained above).

Furthermore, I don't think even Word comes with a default function that allows you to remove all footnotes, although I would guess you can find a Macro online that will do it for you.

Do you still have a version of the document before you unlinked citations? Do you have other non-Zotero footnotes in this document? Do you also want to remove them? Do you have Zotero citations not in footnotes? Why do you want to remove them?
    Also, looking at your post history here it seems that in 2015 you had an issue where none of your Word footnotes appeared, even manually inserted ones. You had determined that it was a bug in Word or your document back then. Perhaps this is what you are misremembering?

Either way, I am sure there is a way to automatically remove all footnotes from a Word document, but it is not and never was a Zotero feature. You may also be able to make Word not display them without removing them completely, although if you print that document or send it to someone else after hiding them for yourself they may appear in print or for that other person.

If that's what you're looking to do, you will have to look for more general Word support.
  • I don't recall what issues I had in 2015 and that is all in the past anyway. I am not going crazy. I have removed all footnotes in my word document in the past. For some reason the unlinked zotero footnotes button in Word isn't working the way it should. It should remove ALL footnotes like it did in the past. You say it can't be done but I have done it before, but once I removed all the footnotes it was permanent and I could not put them back. What I want it for doesn't really matter, but I will tell you since you asked. I wrote a book with footnotes and it is 257 pages. When I removed the citations in the past it reduced the book to 164 pages. The problem is that at the time, that was not my final draft. I want to take all the footnotes out again so I have the option of sharing the book with footnotes and without footnotes. Since I have done it before in the past I know its supposed to work, but for some reason it does not work anymore. I don't even know what removing field codes even means. I don't even know what field codes are. I just know I have removed all footnotes from my book in the past but now I can't.
  • You can remove all footnotes using built in Word features: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/delete-a-footnote-endnote-or-separator-4183cd36-a421-4dba-aa4c-fa511bba4b3f

(and you'll have to believe the people who literally wrote the software that this was never something Zotero did or could do)
  • I have explained to you in great detail twice what field codes are above as well as what Zotero's unlink citations does and does not do. If you still don't even know what that means or does that is entirely up to you.

You can claim that the Zotero plugin used to do this all you want, but you are wrong and more importantly it won't get anything accomplished, except for maybe annoy the people who are trying to help you. I have been the primary Zotero word plugin developer for the past 6 years so you should put some weight on my words.

"Remove all footnotes from Word" on Google returns a lot of results that explain how to do this, e.g. 4 Ways to Delete All Footnotes. If you're going to use one of these methods make sure you make a backup of your document first.
  • My apologies. I honestly thought I had removed all footnotes from my document using Zotero, but as it turns out I used Word to remove all Zotero footnotes. I KNEW it was possible to remove all the footnotes because I had done it in the past. The link Adam Smith posted was very helpful. I was able to accomplish what I was trying to do. So, while it is not possible to remove all footnotes with Zotero, it was with Word that I was able to remove all the footnotes. I was going crazy trying to figure it out. Thank you all for trying to help me and having patience while I was in state of confusion. Most of all, thank you very much Adam Smith for your solution to my problem. The simple link you posted solved my problem very fast. If I had that link to begin with my woes would have been over already. I will be copy/pasting it and saving it as a Word file, and will save it as a bookmark, and also email it to myself for future reference. I have to say that you have always help me solve my issues over the years. I know it's possible to insert footnotes with Word, but Zotero makes it so easy and although sometimes I have difficulties with it, I know I can count on this forum to help me solve the problems. Thank you again for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.