Footnotes in the text but not at the bottom of the page

Hi all,

This is a request on behalf of a student. They want to use footnotes in their essay (e.g. superscript numbers where citations should go) but they don't want the footnotes to show at the bottom of each page. If we choose Chicago (full note) as the style, for instance, that's what happens. They just want this to link to the bibliography - presumably with the bibliography to have the corresponding superscript numbers. Is this something Zotero can actually do - ignore the bottom of each page footnotes? I'm equally not sure of the student's reasoning for this - if they don't want to use footnotes as intended, why do it? I don't think they're mandated to use a footnote system. They could use an author-date system as far as I know.

Thanks!
  • edited December 9, 2021
    This sounds like you actually want to use a numeric style then.
    Try Nature or IEEE (but there is some ~800 more unique numeric styles on the repository).

Numeric styles will insert numbers in the main text and then will have a bibliography at the end of the document (after inserting it) that references these numbers and lists them all.

Note that the numbers in a footnote style are created by your word processor. In a numeric style they are created by CSL/Zotero.
  • Awesome damnation, I've just tried that and I imagine something like Nature is what they want. Thanks!
  • Fabulous.
    These are all the numeric styles we have they can pick from: https://www.zotero.org/styles?format=numeric&dependent=0