Merging libraries with attachments

Hi all,

I had a large library with many attached pdf's containing comments and highlighting. I did not pay for online storage. Then my computer died from one second to the other in May and of course I've had issues with backup in the months preceding, so I ended up not having a backup.
I then installed zotero on my new computer, synced and now have all my old references, but without attachments. Since May, I have also added an additional number of references.
Now, I (or rather IT help) got my old computer to work again, so I have access to all my references up to May with the attached files.

Now my question is how to best merge the old library with all attached files into the library on my new computer without messing up anything as they currently are both synced.

Regards, David
  • Did you ever sync the old library? If so, did you use the same username you're using now?
  • Yes I did, same username. Currently both libraries should be synced.
  • If they're synced, you should see all items on all machines (even if you may not be able to access the attachments).
    If that's the case, you can either enable file sync or you can just copy the contents of the storage folder in the Zotero data directory: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

If that's not the case, you'd have to figure out what's going on with syncing first.
  • 1. Before doing the following suggestions, backup your entire Zotero data folder and Zotfile attachment folder.

2. Disconnect to internet before any manual operation on folders. Re-connect after you've done, and wait for long enough to let it sync the changes.

---------------------------------

If you are using Zotfile to link files as attachments, it should be easy. Just manually merge the detached attachment folder. Zotero will only sync the Zotfile links attached to each item in your library. Zotero doesn't change/edit the link Zotfile created even though the actual files are missing. (I've done this multiple times and never fail.)

If you are just using Zotero without Zotfile and save the PDF as is (in randomly named folders inside Zotero), then you need to let auto synchronizing finish first, then again manually merge the attachment folder inside the Zotero data folder. (I've done this only once long ago and it seems work.)
  • Thank you both - took a while to get everything transferred from computer to computer, but simply copy-pasting the old storage folder into the new one did the trick.