Importing via XML - additional strange behaviour

So my trials of importing a database from Reference Manager via the XML route continue.

I'm still experiencing the following: I have created the XML file and, so far as I can tell, all the non-empty fields of each record are saved as expected. However, when I import into Zotero I find that two fields are not imported. These are tagged 'User Def 2' and 'User Def 3' in Reference Manager and from the behaviour of the other 'User Def ?' fields I would have expected them to end up as 'custom2' and custom3' in Zotero. All the other 'custom?' fields (and some other bits n bobs) are included in a 'The following values have no corresponding Zotero field' Note.

I also observe that occasionally some text is appended to the journal abbreviation in the Zotero 'Journal Abbr' field. This takes the form of 'Y1 - 2006///' and occurs only when there is a journal abbreviation present but does not occur in all cases when there's an abbreviation. This seems to be a year of some sort but it is not the year of publication - maybe it's when the record was created? I cannot see the date(?) in the original record in my Reference Manager database and it's strange this happens sometimes but not always.

I'm hoping that SKS can provide some ideas on both issues.

Many thanks in anticipation, Anthony
  • Ah, okay, I've figured that the issue with the 'Journal Abbr' field is down to the original data - somehow the extraneous text has been added to the abbreviation. Not sure how that happened.
    However, I'm still at a loss about the 'custom2/3' fields not importing...
  • Zotero just doesn't have custom fields, so there is, as per the note, nothing really they could map to. You could probably modify the import script if you want to map a specific tag to a specific existing Zotero field, if that's of interest?
  • Thanks for the comment - I suspected something like this, although it seems strange that three of the five custom or 'User Def' fields import and two don't but it is what it is, I guess.

I've had a look at the documentation and through the Zotero folders/files but I'm not sure what script I should investigate to modify. Do you have any pointers?

Many thanks.