Which Ubuntu directory should be used to install Zotero?

I have previously installed this in /home/user but Zotero installation documents point to /opt. There are 2 such directories: /var/opt and /etc/opt. So, which is the right directory to install Zotero on Ubuntu 18.04?
  • edited December 7, 2021
    /opt means /opt. If you're not familiar with these directories, which it sounds like you're not, I would strongly recommend using the zotero-deb package linked from the installation instructions.
  • If you install yourself for your own computer, somewhere in home (doesn't matter where, I have it in ~/local/bin) makes most sense. Having it in /opt makes updating a pain.

Generally we'd recommend using the apt install provided by zotero-deb
  • Thank you. Of course /opt means /opt but this doesn't answer my question. And zotero-deb is broken. It would be helpful if someone describes the installation steps in the Documentation.
  • zotero-deb works see https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-deb/issues/49#issuecomment-963656160

And I answered your question above: It doesn't hugely matter and installing in (i.e. running from) home is preferable to installing in /opt if you are installing manually (because you'll have to run as root for every update otherwise)
  • Of course /opt means /opt but this doesn't answer my question.
    @gheorghi: To be clear, you asked about /var/opt and /etc/opt, not /opt. Those are different directories for different purposes, and if you're asking if you should install a program in /etc/opt then it suggests you're not that familiar with managing these things manually and you should use the deb (which is fine — we recommend that for most people who ask).
    home is preferable to installing in /opt if you are installing manually (because you'll have to run as root for every update otherwise)
    Well, not necessarily — you can just have the 'zotero' directory owned by your current user. In addition to being the standard place for non-compiled packages, /opt leaves open the possibility of another user on the machine using the program, even if they can't update it.