Web or Desktop--changing ownership of a collection

Do folks use just the web version, or sync to the desktop version also as a back up--I am equally wary of trusting the cloud or my local computer so maybe both is best? Thank you for your input. Also, if I set up a group and a collection, can I give ownership later to another member of the group so that the storage requirements are counted against their account rather than mine, or do they need to set it up in order for that to happen? I am trying to help someone who does not have the time to get all the references in that we have accumulated, but ultimately it would be best for them to have the collection, moving forward. Thank you.
  • You definitely want to have a local, synced copy, if only for functionality of the desktop software and we recommend having a full back-up of your local Zotero (ideally simply by having a full back-up of your harddisk) as an additional layer of security.

If you work in a group, you can easily transfer ownership. Collections can be copied to another groups, but you can't switch ownership or even share them individually, so for your scenarios you'll want to use groups.