Zotero5_win10_switch account

Bonjour,

I got a recurrent problem as i can read on the forum. It is my fist experience in synchronizing library. Here is the case :

I have a personal local Zotero library on my computer. I created a group in this library in order to share references and not preserve my personal references out of sync.

I previously run a sync with a account AG linked with an email address. I did one sync.

In the meantime, i realized i won't be able to use it for the next years. Therefore i delete the account and created a new one DI. I also delete the content of the web zotero library.

I created a new account with a another email address.

When i attempted to sync the local Zotero library, i got the message saying that a previous sync was done with the AG account, if i want to continue, all local library will be deleted .... So i stopped the process and made a backup of my library in copying the file "zotero.sqlite" and the folder "storage" in a separate disk.

Then i restarted the sync, i checked "deleted all data account AG from this computer" and i clicked on restart "change account". The local library returned empty. I copied the backup in the root "c:/....user/zotero", reopened local Zotero. Content of the library is the same as the initial. everything fine.

Willing to sync again, i still got the message "previous sync was done with the account AG...", so this time i clicked on the button "dissociate the AG account". Then i agreed a second time to delete the data of the local storage.

This done, i copied a second the backup. I attempted to sync but still i got the message that it is not possible to sync because initial sync was done with the AG account. It looks like the system keeps in mind the link with the initial account.

I tried to look after a solution in reading forum, i can't find a solution.

I need help. What is the procedure in such case ?

Thank you,

• I'm not clear on why you deleted the account — that almost certainly wasn't necessary — but it's not possible to sync a database that was previously synced with one account with another account. You can export the library to Zotero RDF with files and notes and reimport into a fresh database.
  • @dstillman thank you for your reply.

I deleted the account because after the end of December 2021, i will not have access to the email box from which i created the account AG. This email box will be closed by my employer.

In order to received comments, or password reset, or other messages, i therefore chose my personal email address which is a permanent and accessible email address.

Do you mean that i could have kept the account name and only change the email address ?
  • @LaurentMA: If you prefer, we can undelete the account and let you continue to sync with that account, and you can simply change the address. If you'd like to do that, email us at support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • @dstillman : ok i agree to keep the name of the account only if it is possible to change the email address. I am going to email you with my personal address.