Startup error: "Unix error 2 during operation move on file" for zotero.sqlite

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero beta keeps crashing on Mac.
  • I might have a similar issue - I can't use Zotero at all after downloading it. This is the error message I have:
    ---
    There was an error starting Zotero.

You can report this problem in the Zotero Forums.

Unix error 2 during operation move on file /Users/Zotero/zotero.sqlite (No such file or directory)
    (No stack trace)
    From previous event:
    ZoteroService@file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/components/zotero-service.js:352:7
    @chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14

---

ps 1 - It has happened before I upgraded to Monterey and the problem persists even I'm using the new OS now.

ps 2 - I do use an external monitor.
  • (Please start new threads for new issues unless you're 100% sure it's related — the thread you posted to is for a totally different issue. I've moved this to a new thread.)
    /Users/Zotero/zotero.sqlite (No such file or directory)
    Did you delete your username from this path? The default Zotero data directory is /Users/[username]/Zotero, and I assume that's what you meant.

The most likely cause of this would be a permissions problem in your Zotero data directory, though that usually would be a different error.

Have you used Zotero previously on this computer?

Is there a "Zotero" folder in your home folder, and is there a zotero.sqlite file within it? If so, what's its modification date?
  • edited April 15, 2022
    EDIT: Resolved.

Hi, I get a similar report:

'There was an error starting Zotero.

You can report this problem in the Zotero Forums.

Unix error 2 during operation move on file /Users/tuukkakaikkonen/Zotero/zotero.sqlite (No such file or directory)
    (No stack trace)
    From previous event:
    ZoteroService@file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/components/zotero-service.js:346:7
    @chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14'

In the Zotero folder, there is a series of files titled 'zotero.sqlite-n.damaged' (n=1-8), 'zotero.sqlite.1.bak', 'zotero.sqlite.111.bak', 'zotero.sqlite.bak', 'zotero.sqlite.damaged', and 'zotero.sqlite.is.corrupt'. The modification dates for these are 26 Mar–13 Apr 2022.

Any advice on how to resolve this? (EDIT: Sorted with the advice from the forums on how to deal with damaged or corrupted sqlite files. Re-synced from the Zotero online storage and working fine again. I guess this error happened because my local storage space had run low.)