Ability to add links in the built in PDF viewer

It would be good if, citations in one article can be linked to Zotero items so clicking them opens the Zotero item (and from there the attached PDF item)
  • There's an Insert Citation in the note editor toolbar, and clicking on the citation will pop up a toolbar with a "Show Item" option.
  • Not sure what you mean. I'm talking about viewing existing articles in the built in pdf viewer (available only as preview in the beta version). There's no 'Insert Citation' anywhere, and I'm talking about existing citations.

It seems the viewer identifies some citations and links to refhub, but many times there isn't a PDF available there and the point is to link back into Zotero for an item there (or, better yet, create one if not).
  • Oh, you're talking about the citations in documents you're reading in the PDF reader? And you want Zotero to do something special with them?

To be clear, when there are links currently, the PDF reader isn't "identifying" anything. Those are just links specified in the PDF, and Zotero is just opening the URL.

At the least, Zotero could probably identify DOIs and other identifiers in the document and make them active links if they're not — similar to what, say, PDFs from arXiv already do with DOI URLs and arXiv IDs, but for PDFs that don't make those active. Down the line, that could be integrated with Add Item by Identifier to add those items to Zotero.
  • @dstillman Being able to right click on links (at least identifier links) in a PDF and then import them with Add by Identifier would be an amazing feature!
  • @dstillermann, yes, I meant adding links in a pdf I'm reading to zotero items. Would be great to be able to add them on the fly.

The flow is something like: I'm reading a PDF and find a reference I'd like to read, I right click, and if there's a doi or something like that, zotero downloads and adds and places a link in the ref. Otherwise, i can either add an item or link to an existing one.
  • Is there any way to achieve this now?