migrating Zotero to a different PC

I just transferred my Zotero 5 installation to a new (Windows PC), following Option A of https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library, that is copy the contents of `%userprofle%/Zotero` before installing Zotero on the new PC, but found that while the library was transferred, settings like installed plugins and sync credentials were not transferred. After copying also contents of `%appdata%/zotero` (as suggested for zotero 4 on https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#default_locations), everything was as on the old PC (as desired).

If this is the expected behavior, perhaps a corresponding note could be added above wiki article(s)?

• (It's the Zotero profile directory that's relevant. The Zotero 4 data directory just happened to be stored within the profile directory. And you slightly conflated two different parts of the path — the Profiles folder is within a "Zotero" folder, but the lowercase 'zotero' from the Zotero 4 data directory instructions isn't relevant here.)

We generally don't recommend copying profile files over, since 1) it's much more complicated and error-prone and 2) different settings can make sense on different computers. Right now the instructions are pretty simple — sync or copy a single folder in the home folder — and I'm inclined to leave it at that. People who are familiar with the Firefox profile system, or Application Data/Application Support files in general, can probably figure out how to transfer settings and deal with any undesirable consequences (e.g., the word processor plugins not being automatically installed), but most people shouldn't be messing around in those folders. (And the best thing to do here, when possible, is to use something like Migration Assistant on macOS that just transfers the whole computer experience to the new computer.)
  • Thanks for the clarification.

Good reasons, just saying a link to this /profile_directory article on the /transferring_a_library article or a note there that this will only transfer the library and nothing else would have helped me.

I am sure I am not the only one who prefers to start from scratch every decade and transfer application by application.

Would sync have synced plugins ect.?