Prospects for multi-lingual support (esp. CJK)?

The new CSL processor implements a scheme for the mixed-language rendering of names and titles, which is needed for serious research involving material in Asian languages (Chinese, japanese, Korean). At minimum, managing such material in Zotero needs (1) a user interface for entering and editing multiple language-tagged versions of name and title fields, and (2) a configurable interface for setting the preferred field language tags to be used for display sorting.

What are the medium-term prospects of this functionality making its way into Zotero, and what, if anything, can users keen to see this functionality do to help promote and assist the cause?

I'm asking because I have been invited to speak to a University-level committee at my place of work (in Japan) about research tools, particularly Zotero. I need to know whether to pitch this (a) as an attractive tool, but mostly for overseas students working exclusively in English, or (b) as a potential core research tool that promises to boost research productivity across the institution.
  • edited October 10, 2009
    Bump.

Here is a link to a related ticket: https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/866

(Edit: The sparse discussion of this issue should not be taken as a measure of its importance. One of the reasons there has been little input from users in this part of the world is that Zotero isn't able to sort their languages correctly, and so doesn't get a look-in.)
  • I really think it's time to find some way to have a structured discussion (not ad hoc and casual discussions spread across multiple threads, trac tickets, and venues) about how a variety of these data issues (URIs and RDF stuff, multi-lingual support, custom fields and types) fit together, and how Zotero will address them. Not exactly sure how to do that, but we need to figure something out.
  • Any forum for the active discussion of multi-lingual support would be welcome, as the whole topic seems to have taken on a certain disconcerting, self-silencing, write-only quality. Maybe that's a signal of some sort, but hope springs eternal.
  • We'd like to offer multi-lingual support in 2.1, along with the new processor. But getting to 2.0 Final is the priority at the moment.
  • Great news. Was just fishing for a sign on whether it was in the roadmap at all, and that's the sign I was hoping for. Thanks, Dan!