UpToDate www.utdol.com

Zotero doesnt recognize anything on that page even though its so famous for its content an has realy good articles, is there a certain reason?
  • I agree, this site is a very commonly used website in the medical field and it would be really useful to be able to make it interact with zotero !
    Hope to be able to do that soon
  • I must agree too! UpToDate.com is a major source of current peer-reviewed knowledge on the net. It has become a reference for a lot of doctors and medical students in my university (which has even been paying for a licence for quite some time now). I personally use it on a regular basis, and I thought that UpToDate being famous as it is, it would work with Zotero out of the box... That's too bad!

Any idea how to make a site translator for UpToDate.com? I found on their site how to cite a topic from UpToDate:

"Cite the UpToDate topic as a chapter in a book titled UpToDate, edited by Denise S. Basow, published by UpToDate in Waltham, MA. There are no page numbers to cite, and the publication year for any topic should be the current year.

For example:

Marion, DW. Diaphragmatic pacing. In: UpToDate, Basow, DS (Ed), UpToDate,
    Waltham, MA, 2011."

Any idea who to contact at Zotero to make a request for a new site translator (as suggested in the Quick Start Guide)?

Cheers
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/exposing_metadata
    contact utdol.com. I don't think anyone writing translators for Zotero will be interested in doing this, at least not for free.
  • But if UpToDate or any of its customers are interested, several translator developers have expressed their openness to paid translator gigs; this wouldn't cost much.
  • How much would a translator developers charge for this? I work in South India in a teaching university hospital which has spent a bit on getting uptodate. We use Zotero,but face the same problem with the refences in uptodate.If this is not something too costly we would be happy to contribute.
    My official email id is thambu@cmcvellore.ac.in-please if anyone knows a translator developer or is one themselves please drop me a line!
    Thanks
  • sent you a message by email.
  • this has been up for a good amount of time now. Thanks to Thambu for facilitating it.
  • Dear Adam
    The translator seems to stall with the firefox V 50.1 and the latest version of Zotero.
    Could you help?
    Thambu
  • Ive tried in multiple computers and with various versions of firefox-in the 50.1 version the uptodate references are not recognized; in the older versions of firefox they are recognized,but when i try to save it mentions there was an error-?translator issue
    Ran a zotero workshop-most particpants-infact all also had the same issue-not with pubmed though
  • Could you confirm the Zotero version on those computers? Note that Firefox 50 requires the most recent version of the Zotero add-on, i.e. 4.0.29.16
  • Dear Adam
    I have Firefox 50.1 and Zotero 4.0.29.16..with this combination the sensor only detects the entire article as a webpage and none of the references
  • sometimes the message " check translator issues" pops up
  • Could you post a URL as you see it as well as search terms so I can try to replicate the issue?
  • https://www.uptodate.com/contents/approach-to-the-adult-with-interstitial-lung-disease-clinical-evaluation

I searched " interstitial lung disease" and was reading approach to the adult with Interstitial lung disease
    The message heading for the error is "could not save item" "check troubleshooting for translator issues"
    How can i send you a screen shot?
  • yeah, that works for me, but I don't have a login for that service, so I'm guessing that's the difference. A screenshot won't help much (it's not like I don't belive you -- I just can't fix it as long as I can't replicate it)
    You should still have my e-mail address, right?
    Could you do the following?
    1. While looking at the page, press ctrl+u, which shows you the source code for the page
    2. Use ctrl+a to select all and ctrl+c to copy everything
    3. Open a text editor like Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac
    4. Use ctrl+v to copy the page source code into the text editor
    5. Save the file in the text editor (format doesn't matter -- txt or html are both fine) and e-mail it to me.
  • email server crashed a while ago-have lost your email id-could you send me a mail at thambu@cmcvellore.ac.in
  • Dear Adam, wondering if you had any luck with the uptodate?
    regards
    Thambu
  • edited March 25, 2021
    Hello everyone.

Still in 2021, Zotero 5.0.96.1 in Firefox 87.0 (MacOs) does not recognize UpToDate(R) articles as such, and show a folder, which takes you to a window that allows to select among the sources referenced in the page.

This page is commonly used in the medical field.

But, the page itself is still not automatically available to save, at least from my browser setting. This issue has been around since 2009, as I can see.

I wonder if something could be done to ease saving pages from UpToDate. If, at least, the option to save a standard webpage could appear and, then, manually edit the missing data.

I just wanted to revive this thread, and, note that still, this has no workaround but adding the entry manually.

Yours, and keep safe.

--
    Edit:
    Hello again. I've restarted my computer and, now, I can save the entry as webpage in the usual, secondary menu–save as webpage way. I may have faced some kind of Zotero connector glitch.

Sometimes the best solution is to shut down and start again.

But, in any way, it would be nice if Zotero took all the data from the entry and saved it automatically. Zotero is already a nice software piece.

Goodbye!