Impossible to create a footnote with Zotero

I am working on a document created some years ago and I cannot add a new footnote with Zotero. I can edit the previous one though. The error message tells me that Zotero encountered an error during the update of the document and if I want to read the instructions to solve the problem (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents). I did read them and tried every solution but nothing is working.
  • Some precisions: I am working on macOC Big Sur and with 365 Office. I tried to uninstall Zotero and reinstall it, to remove the styles in my word document (to erase to format), but it didn't help.
  • Does it work in a new document?

If so, the debugging instructions include directions to split your document to isolate a problem. Have you tried that? What happened?
  • Well, in a new document it seems to work, but I don't know if it is because it requires fewer footnote updates. My document has 100 pages now. I try to split it and paste parts into the new document, but it doesn't change anything. And if I paste it and "keep only the text" then the footnote numbers are not in exponant anymore. This would mean that I have to rechange 250 footnote numbers. :(
  • edited November 16, 2021
    The debugging instructions don't say to use copy&paste, but to work with a copy of the document and delete half the document and continue until you have the smallest failing example. The troubleshooting guides are written with great care, please follow them precisely to avoid wasting your (and possibly our) time.
  • Yes, I tried that as well, sorry I didn't express it very clearly. Maybe I didn't delete enough or the right half? How much should I delete? And then, if this is working, how am i supposed to add again the rest previously deleted?
  • Everything you’re asking is addressed in the instructions. Please read it more carefully — there’s no point in our just repeating what’s there.
  • I will try every single step for the third time then. Obviously, I did it before leaving a message on the Zotero page. Thanks for your replies.
  • We're talking about the last step, Step 10. I'm just saying it specifically addresses your questions.
  • Hi, it is still not working, even if after doing step 10 over 70 pages the document seemed clear. Here is my ID error number: 101917597.
    Did you come along something else?
  • even if after doing step 10 over 70 pages the document seemed clear
    I'm not sure what you're saying here.
  • I tried doing the step number 10 over the 70 pages, I removed broken citations, the file didn't have problems that I could identify any more. Nonetheless, I didn't try inserting new footnotes everywhere, in the places where I tried, it worked. And now suddenly, the error shows up again.