Temporarily hide dashed-underline without refreshing citations? (Word macro, etc.?)

I have a very large document that takes an extremely long time to refresh the citations and generate the bibliography. I have automatic updates disabled, of course.

Purely for aesthetic reasons while generating a draft to send to someone for feedback, I would like to remove the underlines in all citation fields, before saving as a PDF.

Is there any way to do that, without waiting for the long delay (this document takes over an hour now) for refreshing? (Note that I don't need the bibliography to appear in these drafts.)

Maybe a Word macro could do this?

I don't want to just select all then cmd+U, because that would also remove any other underline formatting throughout my document. Maybe just remove it from all fields only?
  • OK, I tinkered with my old macro code here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/73159/announcing-zoterzero-for-author-only-cites

Now the following seems to work to remove all underlines from Zotero fields.

Function ZoterZeroUnderFix(F) ' Fix a field to remove the automatic dashed underline if Zotero automatic updates is disabled
    ''does not update bibliography or correctly disambiguate citations, just convenient to export a draft for review rather than waiting for full update
    If InStr(F.Code.Text, " ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION") = 1 Then ' make sure this is a Zotero field to modify, starts with right text
    F.Result.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineNone ' remove dashed underlining from Zotero's delayed update feature if present
    End If
    End Function

Sub ZoterZeroUnder()
    '
    ' ZoterZero extention: remove dashed underlines from all Zotero fields in document
    ''let's update all fields in document
    ''' based on http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=1100
    Dim rngStory As Word.Range ' vars for below
    Dim lngValidate As Long ' vars for below
    Dim oShp As Shape ' vars for below
    lngValidate = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(1).Range.StoryType ' starting point
    For Each rngStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges 'Iterate through all linked stories
    Do
    On Error Resume Next
    checkField = rngStory.Fields.Count ' get the total number of fields in this section
    While checkField > 0 ' check each field
    changeSuccess = ZoterZeroUnderFix(rngStory.Fields(checkField)) ' check and fix this field
    checkField = checkField - 1 ' check the previous field next
    Wend
    Select Case rngStory.StoryType
    Case 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
    If rngStory.ShapeRange.Count > 0 Then
    For Each oShp In rngStory.ShapeRange
    If oShp.TextFrame.HasText Then
    checkField = Shp.TextFrame.TextRange.Fields.Count ' get the total number of fields in this section
    While checkField > 0 ' check each field
    changeSuccess = ZoterZeroUnderFix(Shp.TextFrame.TextRange.Fields(checkField)) ' check and fix this field
    checkField = checkField - 1 ' check the previous field next
    Wend
    End If
    Next
    End If
    Case Else 'Do Nothing
    End Select
    On Error GoTo 0
    'Get next linked story (if any)
    Set rngStory = rngStory.NextStoryRange ' get ready for next section
    Loop Until rngStory Is Nothing ' keep going through until all sections are done
    Next
    End Sub

I've tested it and it seems to work in Word on my Mac. I don't know whether it would always work for everyone, so no guarantees. Aside from the big looping action, all it does is checks each field to see if it's a Zotero field and if so it sets that field to not be underlined. To use: run the main ZoterZeroUnder() macro and it will automatically change all fields in the document.

Obvious warning: this is only for preview purposes and probably should only be used on copies of your document you're exporting as a preview.

--
    This could also be useful, with minor changes, in the case that a user wants to make all citations bold, or something else along those lines.
  • What worked for me was to simply select all Footnotes (cmd+a in a footnote area), underline everything and then reverse the underlining for everything.
    Obviously only makes sense if your footnotes do not contain underlining for highlighting purposes.

Is that too easy? Am I overlooking anything?