Maxthon 2 & zotero

Many thanks for the great job. Just a question.
Maxthon 2 (now in late beta) is a great internet tool (better in my opinion than FireFox). This version allows to choose the rendering engine (IE or Geko FF). Does this latter option (that was not available in v.1.x) means that Zotero can be run from Maxthon with some adjustments or there is no hope.
Thanks again
  • No. Gecko is just the rendering engine used in Firefox and other Mozilla products. Zotero will only work in browsers that are actually based on Firefox itself and that support Firefox extensions.
  • edited June 18, 2007
    The FAQ's answer still applies:
    <http://www.zotero.org/documentation/frequently_asked_questions#will_i_be_able_to_use_zotero_with_internet_explorer_or_some_other_browser>;

Maxthon is proprietary software that does not have the same framework for extensions as firefox. Even basic firefox extensions would need significant modifications. Something like Zotero (that leverages, for example, SQLite & other "modern" features in Firefox) would be even trickier. I don't speak for Zotero devs. But: given the closed nature, small marketshare, limited architectural support, and these differences, support is fairly unlikely in the short-term.

Nothing is stopping you (of course) from using Maxthon as your primary browser, but use Firefox+Zotero as a reference manager.

EDIT:Guess Dan beat me to the response. Post preserved for FAQ link and notes on significant differences.