Zotero's response being slow

Hi,
I have read through several discussions related to Zotero being slow and potential troubleshooting solutions. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to fix the issue.
I've been using Zotero for a few years now, and the issue of being super slow popped up just a few months ago (FYI I use Windows and don't run any programs other than Chrome and Word while using Zotero). It's not only inserting in-text citations that's being extra slow (sometimes takes up to 10 minutes to find a reference), but also search within Zotero, navigating the folders etc. I have 16k references in my library, but I've read that this number shouldn't slow down Zotero that much.
Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.
Thank you.
Julia
  • Can you provide some Debug IDs for operations that are slow?
  • Thanks for a quick response! Here's the Debug ID: D1897191303
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • edited October 27, 2021
    And just to clarify, that first Debug ID was showing a search for an item in the citation dialog taking a while (~18 seconds)?
  • D1791570436

In response to your other comment, yes, 18 seconds is not too horribly bad, but sometimes it might take about 5 minutes just to locate a citation in my library.
  • It looks like the search was much faster after the restart, though, no?

We'd really want a few different Debug IDs here, showing specific individual actions that are slow.
  • Absolutely! Please see below:

- merging duplicates: D688393750
    - inserting bibliography: D1772807395
    - adding in-text citations to existing ones: D520139759

Any other information you need?

• edited October 27, 2021
    Yes, we'd want to know the exact action on screen that you're showing us — not just the general activity — and approximately how long things are taking for each example, so we know what to look for in the debug output. E.g., if it's for just the searching part of inserting a citation, we need to know that, and approximately how long it took.

For inserting a bibliography, it seems to have taken 7 seconds, which is a little slow but not particularly noteworthy, depending on the document size and your computer speed.

Not sure what part of merging duplicates you're trying to show. I'm not seeing anything particularly unusual.
  • I'll get this information. In the meantime, I just discovered ~2k of duplicates - could that be the reason for Zotero being a bit slower than expected? Or because I attach pdfs?