'Word cannot open this document template' Zotero ribbon plugin

Hi, when I load word (for Windows) a pop up message appears that says the plugin ribbon could not load. The message is: 'Word cannot open this document template. (C:/Users/...Zotero)

I have had help from my work IT support and the problem would happen sometimes but and then be fine other times. Now it is constant. I use a university laptop but the university said their version of word is the general version from windows so they don't know what the problem could be.

We have tried the trouble shooting here and nothing works https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_tab_does_not_appear_in_the_word_ribbon
Also the messages in in this trouble shooting do not match the message that comes up for me.

Could I be that something is not compatible as I am using a university laptop? What can you recommend? I'd appreciate help otherwise I won't be able to use the software and that would be very annoying.

Many thanks in advance
Violet
  • Have you tried redownloading Zotero and reinstalling the plugin from Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processor Plugins?
  • This message was displayed: 'Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is closed, and then restart Zotero.'
    But no office program is open
  • Restart your computer and try again.
  • Still comes up with the same message. And I used task manager to make sure windows programs were closed
  • edited October 26, 2021
    Is there any more advice out there?
  • Could you produce a Debug ID for the failing plugin install?
  • I did as you asked then went to word but the pop up did not happen. So I went the startup file location in explorer and strangely there was no file there (there was a file there yesterday). I downloaded and added the file and zotero is now appearing in the ribbon! So problem solved. I will get back in touch if something strange starts happening again but it seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks anyway
  • For other people who have this problem, the message only comes on when M.Teams is still on in the background when I open word. Instead I now close teams, then open Zotero then open word and the ribbon is always there.