Storage still full after deletion of data

My storage says my current usage is 300 GB and that troubleshooting says that I have reached your Zotero File Storage quota.
I deleted half my library, emptied the bin and old documents with links. Still, my used storage remains unchanged and Zotero does not work, trying to cite in Word: Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Please help! I want to continue using the free storage option.
  • Your file storage quota and citing in Word are completely unrelated. If you are at your storage quota, the only thing affected is that your attachment files are not being synced across computer. Your library ("data") is always synced if you turn it on and does not count towards your quota. So, there was no need at all to delete any of your library. (Of course, if you want to support Zotero and use file syncing, you should get a storage plan.)

You probably just have a broken document, and need to follow the instructions here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents
  • Hi all,

I have encountered a very similar situation to Anna. I have reached my quota, and tried to work around this issue by deleting old libraries for already written papers and removing duplicates. However, following a new sync, even when my web library has registered that the files that older libraries have been deleted, the "storage quota error" still persists and prevents me from using zotero to input citations on google docs.

Anna, was this situation ever resolved for you? and if it was, how did you overcome the problem? Thanks !
  • Same problem here. Got the error last night and I still have it this afternoon.
  • edited December 2, 2021
    [Admin note: Don't do this. See below.]

Not one half-hour later, I solved my problem! In my storage settings, I clicked the red button at the bottom of the page (the button that says "Purge Storage in My Library"). Contrary to what I feared would happen, doing so did NOT delete the data that is visible in the program.
  • @scottrtryon: No, this is a misunderstanding. Do not use "Purge Storage in My Library" unless you're switching from Zotero Storage to WebDAV for My Library and want to free up storage space for groups. (The Zotero app will offer to do the purge for you in that case. The button on the website is only necessary if you say no initially. That's its sole purpose.)

If you used that button while continuing to use Zotero Storage for My Library, all you've done is broken online access to those files in your online library. You should use Reset File Sync History in the Sync → Reset pane to force Zotero to reupload all existing files, and if you get the quota again deal with this properly by either actually deleting files (and emptying the trash) until you're under your quota or adding a storage subscription.

@zenith.tandukar: You're simply just still using all your storage in My Library. The fact that you removed some groups is irrelevant. You can see the breakdown of storage usage on your storage settings page.
  • @scottrtryon Thanks for the response. How do I go about seeing the breakdown?

The only access to storage option I have right now is the storage tab under zotero setting on the web version(https://www.zotero.org/settings/storage). Here I have current plan and change plan boxes. Where should I go to find the breakdown of current usage? Also, does this mean zotero just recently reduced the quotas if the problem is just arising now?
  • edited December 2, 2021
    The breakdown is right on that page, in the "Current Usage" box.
    Also, does this mean zotero just recently reduced the quotas if the problem is just arising now?
    No, the quota hasn't changed. If you're using Zotero and adding new files and using file syncing, you would just hit the quota eventually.

If you had a storage plan before and it expired, then you would start getting the quota error.
  • "No. Not sure why you think that. If you're using Zotero and adding new files and using file syncing, you would just hit the quota eventually."

I use zotero. I add new files everyday. It syncs everyday. I hit the limit today. I deleted half of my library meaning I emptied 150mb of 300mb. Its still at max quota. Not sure why you don't see that.
  • You either didn't notice the error previously or you added more files recently and haven't deleted enough.

The quota is online only, so all that matters is whether you're below the online quota. If you add 1000 MB of files locally, you'll still never use more than 300 MB online without a storage plan, and you can delete 700 MB locally and still be at your quota. People interpret that as the usage figure not updating properly, but it's just a matter of misunderstanding the difference between local storage and online storage.
  • the "storage quota error" still persists and prevents me from using zotero to input citations on google docs
    @zenith.tandukar: Also, this is a misunderstanding. The quota is purely about online file syncing. It has nothing to do with Google Docs. You can always save both data and files to your local Zotero library, which is what the Google Docs plugin pulls from.
  • @dstillman thanks for all the input. I appreciate the quick responses.

• edited December 3, 2021
    @dstillman Ok, so it seems I should not have worried at all, since I only got Storage because I wanted to transfer my Zotero data from my old computer to my new one. What set me off to begin with was that when the warning showed up recently, I was having trouble adding items to Zotero. In hindsight, my computer was probably just being slow.
  • Same Issues Deleted more than 50% of what I had still nothing has changed, which is making me think they are doing it on purpose to force us to spend money.
    NGL It's kinda upsetting to not even be able to see where they take storage data size from, is it somewhere that is pretty hidden? Idk all I see is 98.4% full no way of changing it.

• edited May 16, 2023
    @MarionSterescu: You seem to be misunderstanding how the online quota works. Read through this page:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/storage_quota_and_local_storage

If you deleted half your files, you either didn't empty the trash or you had twice as much locally than could fit within the 300 MB online quota.
  • edited May 17, 2023
    @MarionSterescu if you want to know how much your *local* file storage amounts to, you can do the following:

1. Go to Edit\Preferences\Advanced\Files and Folders
    2. Click on Show Data Directory
    3. You will see a 'storage' folder there. In Windows, right click on the storage folder and select Properties. The figure shown there for Size is your local Zotero files storage* (it would be nice if Zotero showed that figure on the Preferences dialog).

That figure is roughly what online space would be required *if* you synced your library's files online to Zotero servers (Zotero devs will correct me if there are any caveats on that statement).

That online file syncing occurs if you have Edit\Preferences\Sync\File Syncing - 'Sync attachment files in My Library using Zotero' set to ON. Zotero will then sync files up to your personal Quota.

Your personal quota and current online storage usage is shown here:
    https://www.zotero.org/settings/storage

Note that if you have a WEBDAV or Zotfile Custom Location for linked files, your total files storage also includes how much is stored in those locations (but that content would not be synced online to Zotero servers, so does not count towards your quota).

*unless you have stored any other files under the storage folder hierarchy that Zotero has no knowledge of.
  • Hey everyone,

I've had the same issue and was getting quite frustrated as I deleted the attachments from old courses that I have completed. The online storage use did not reduce, though. I understand your frustration, my friends, but I assure you that it's a simple self-fix, as @dstillman suggests.

If you're on Windows, go to C:\Users\\Zotero and check the properties of the "storage" folder. If it's over 300 MB, therein lies your problem.

"But I deleted half my collection, and I had only just hit 300 MB!"
    I know - me too! Check your Trash folder in Zotero to view a hefty collection of junk you forgot existed. Right-click, Empty Trash, confirm. Go back to the aforementioned folder and again check the folder properties and notice that your extra data has only just now been deleted.

Sync again. Here's the kicker: give it time. It took upwards of 30 minutes for this change to be reflected on Zotero's server and update my account storage use. To confirm, click on "Web Library" at the top of this page to view your Library and collections in the browser. Open the Trash folder in the browser and verify it also reflects the Sync by being empty.

Broke students unite! I'd love to pitch in for such a great service that is well-programmed and *nearly* perfectly handles any APA curveballs that I throw at it. That said, I suspect that the primary users of Zotero are exceedingly thrifty students. Lay the pressure on your institution to have them pay for an institutional subscription!

• @tim820: "Note that if you have a WEBDAV or Zotfile Custom Location for linked files, your total files storage also includes how much is stored in those locations (but that content would not be synced online to Zotero servers, so does not count towards your quota)"

Is there a reason for this? I just switched from using Zotero storage to linked files in a Zotfile Custom Location and was thoroughly confused when my "Current Usage" didn't change.

Just to make sure I understand, if I didn't set up a custom location and just kept using my default local storage, my "Current Usage" would be zero?
  • edited December 15, 2023
    @michaelernst: I think you may have misunderstood what @tim820 said. If you convert stored files to linked files, empty the trash, and sync, your online Zotero Storage usage would go down, because the stored files would be removed. It might take a few minutes to update.
  • @dstillman: Thanks for your reply. To the best of my knowledge, I've done everything you mentioned, but after over 24 hrs my Current Usage hasn't changed.

In the desktop app, all of the pdfs have the link icon. In my Web Library, all the references have the link icon in the attachment column. The pdf appears in the Attachments tab but is grayed out. I've double and triple-checked the trash in both.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.
  • edited December 16, 2023
    @michaelernst: I suspect you're just misremembering the previous usage. Nearly all the stored files remaining in your library are snapshots, which ZotFile wouldn't convert to linked files by default (and which might not work to convert if they were created before single-file snapshots). A handful are ~33 MB. The rest of your usage is from owned group libraries, which can only use stored files. The usage figures you're seeing are accurate.