Report ID 1220032150

Setup:
Zotero 5.0.97-beta.49+9432cb7e7
M1 Mac running Big Sur 11.6

Problem:
Could not install the plugin for LibreOffice 7.2.2 without an error message. I did install the Java tools as instructed and restarted my computer, but it still did not work.

I then tried manual installation within LibreOffice and it gave me a different error: "ImplementationRegistration::registerImplementation() - The service com.sun.star.loader.Java2 cannot be instantiated"

• What version of Java did you install? Did you make sure it is selected in LibreOffice? Have you tried using LibreOffice stable 7.1.6?
  • I just followed the instructions in Zotero. I have no idea how to check the Java version (it doesn't seem to be a normal app?) or know how to "make sure it is selected" as these were not part of the instructions. Are they written down somewhere?
  • Regarding LibreOffice stable 7.1.6, my understanding is that 7.2 is the first version to support the M1 chip?
  • See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#installation_error
    You can check your version of Java in System Preferences.

You still need to test 7.1.6 if different version of Java doesn't help. It will work with Rosetta, but you will know that 7.2 didn't introduce the issue with Java.
  • Got it. Will check it out when I have some time and report back.
  • OK. So the entire LibreOffice 7.2.2 settings page to install Java is greyed out if you use the version optimized for Apple's M1 chip. And if you use the version that runs in Rosetta it will fail if you try to install the version of Java 17 optimized for the M1 chip. Both have to be running in Rosetta for everything to work ...

Issue closed. Thanks.
  • Thanks — we've just tested this further, and it does look like LO 7.2 won't load the ARM version of JDK 17. The x64 version of JDK 17 works fine.

We heard from someone on Twitter that the development version of LO 7.3 does support the ARM JDK, so this should be resolved when LO 7.3 is released.

(This is with the direct-download, x86-64 version of LibreOffice. We don't test with the App Store version, which as far as I know is the only M1-native version currently.)