zotero not recognized

Ok, so I deleted zotero and re-installed per the linux instructions (Ubuntu 20.04). Copy the extracted directory to /opt/zotero, and run the set_launcher app, and then run the symlink command. As per here. https://www.zotero.org/support/installation

If I click in the lower left corner and type zot... The icon appears. If I click it, nothing. Zotero does not run. I can run zotero by going to /opt/zotero and typing ./zotero. But then I have a terminal sitting around. So a combo of cd /opt/zotero, then nohup ./zotero, then Ctrl-Z, disown, and kill the terminal.

There really has to be a better way. What am I missing. Clearly the command "zotero" is not recognized...

Thanks.
  • The zotero.desktop file, FYI:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Zotero
    exec=bash -c "$(dirname $(realpath $(echo %k | sed -e 's/^file:\/\///')))/zotero -url %U"
    Icon=/opt/zotero/chrome/icons/default/default256.png
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Categories=Office;
    MimeType=text/plain
  • Bump. Anyone? This would seem to be "low hanging fruit" for the experts here! Thanks.
  • Linux troubleshooting is rarely low hanging fruit. Why aren't you using the package?
    https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-deb
  • Ah, I was using the linux and not the ubuntu/deb approach. Thanks.
  • Well, the deb file approach didn't work either. Removed it all, manually downloaded and untarred the tarball and copied to /opt/zotero. ran set_launcher. Created a symbolic link. Now it seems to work from the program launcher. But not from a term. Sigh.

It would be so easy for the Ubuntu instructions to just have the wget commands and such. This is one aspect of why Ubuntu/Linux is still swamped by Windows: Different versions have totally different install processes, install advice is Balkanized (Oh! To change a filename? The best approach is to install the nix-shell, open frizbot using Kubernetes, and yed your yaml file. Then reinstall Ubuntu (make sure its 20.04U, the Ukrainian version) and refactor all non-unicode text files in /usr/local/really_obscure...

Sorry guys. I'm tired. But including simple Ubuntu commands on the install page would have saved me a lot of time.
  • I don't know what you're talking about here. We just provide a tarball, like many other pieces of software. You can run ./zotero from a terminal or follow our instructions to add it to the launcher.

If you want a package for a Debian-based system, we recommend zotero-deb, which generally works for people and has its own install instructions, but we don't have anything to do with that.

I don't know what "wget commands and such" is supposed to mean. You don't need to use wget to install Zotero.