[New pdf] Error "SetState" .zotero-pdf-state - File used by another process

Alb
edited September 21, 2021
I would like to share an error log from the new pdf editor.
After I open and start to read/underline the pdf (not happening with each pdf, just few/random) the warning red bar appears, I can just ignore it and continue to work, If I close and open the pdf again the error usually does not appear, it seems to be random/not associated with specific behavior (or not that I noticed).

I'm on win10 with Zotero 5.0.97-beta.44+fa4020f78. I never used Mendeley, so no import from other managers (maybe the pdf was originally in Zotero stable database, before I upgrade to beta, I can not confirm).

Please, if I can better debug the issue let me know the steps I have to follow.

PDF.js v2.8.149 (build: 4f4cd761c)

Stack: Win error 32 during operation delete on file C:\Users\...\storage\6GJKNK7N.zotero-pdf-state (Impossible to open file. The file is used by another process.
)
(No stack trace)
From previous event:
captureStackTrace@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/debuggability.js:915:23
CapturedTrace@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/debuggability.js:807:5
longStackTracesCaptureStackTrace@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/debuggability.js:482:19
doThenable@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/thenables.js:60:5
tryConvertToPromise@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/thenables.js:28:20
module.exports/Promise.cast@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:222:15
Zotero.File</this.putContentsAsync@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js:410:14
_setState@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/reader.js:623:3265
  • @martynas_b might have some idea, but this might be due to some sort of security software on your system interfering with Zotero.
  • Ok, I can reproduce the issue with a quick test that does simultaneous writes to the same file. That fails only Windows, while no issues observed on Linux, macOS. This might affect any part of Zotero, not only PDF reader.
  • It will be fixed in the next update.
  • Great! Thank you, please let me know if you need more help by my side.
  • Hi! Sorry to bother you, but I still have the same red banner appears when open certain pdf files.

Error "SetState"
    PDF.js v2.8.152 (build: 9a187f59c)
  • @Andrii_Karpus: Are you trying to open a file that you have open in another program? Close any other PDF programs you have open, and if you're still having trouble try restarting your computer. If you still have trouble after that, we'd want to see a Debug ID for trying to open a file in the PDF reader.
  • @dstillman Thank you for suggestions, unfortunately reboot has no effect. I can remove attached pdf to trash, open folder with file and attach it back via Zotero menu - problem dissapears.
    Debug ID - D1333932635