Annotations, Comments and Tags in Zotero 5.0.97-beta vs ZotFile

In the integrated PDF reader I can underline text and this will generate an annotation. If I select that annotation in the note viewer (left column) while reading my pdf, I see the possibility to add a comment ("Add comment") and a "Tag". I can see these notes via the Notes tab and I can see them also via the contextual menu "Add Note from Annotations".

The captured annotations or "snippets" (since this is what they are: bits of texts captured by underlining the pdf) are linked to the pdf in parenthesis. QUESTION: Where do I see the tag associated to that note? Or, what is that tag for?

In addition to these notes, I can also see the "snippets" (see my definition above) previously generated through a different PDF reader, say Adobe Acrobat.

I used to extract these snippets (as well as the notes added by me on the PDF) via ZotFile. This produced a note called "Extracted Annotations" with a link to the PDF that would open in a preferred PDF Reader.

I could then export these Extracted Annotations as a md file and the link would be preserved directing me to the external PDF reader. If I DISABLE the Zotero PDF Reader and use say Acrobat or Preview (on a Mac) the links to the snippets are gone in the Annotations.

THIS MEANS that if I use the new PDF Reader in Zotero (by disabling the Zotero PDF Reader) the annotations I previously made to the PDF in the new PDF Reader (via underlining or adding notes) are viewable ONLY through the Zotero PDF Reader.

If I email the PDF to a collaborator, that person will not see my comments unless I share with her my Zotero library. IS THAT THE CASE?

If I export the annotations will the link to the page be preserved (bringing me back to the PDF Reader in Zotero)?

The new PDF rader is very handy, but it seems a bit restrictive as a solution I will hope that the ZotFile plugin continues to work. Did I get it right? Or am I missing something?
  • If I email the PDF to a collaborator, that person will not see my comments unless I share with her my Zotero library. IS THAT THE CASE?
    (Please don't use all-caps.)

Zotero stores annotations in its database, which allows for fast, conflict-free syncing and other advanced features. If you want to share a PDF with someone outside of Zotero, you just need to save a copy with annotations embedded, which you can do from the File menu in either the library view ("Export PDF…") or the PDF reader ("Save As…").

Annotation tags aren't currently viewable outside the annotation sidebar in the PDF reader, but they'll be used in other ways in future versions.

When you add annotations to Zotero notes, you can quickly get back to the relevant page in the PDF reader by clicking the annotation text and clicking "Show on Page". We'll likely be adding export options to allow transferring notes to external text editors with zotero://open-pdf links back to the PDF.
  • Thank you very much. I am glad to hear that there will be ways to export PDF with the annotations generated inside Zotero - I basically switched back to a previous version because that functionality was not available in beta and I will most likely not upgrade until the export feature is implemented -- glad to wait.

As for the tags, it would be interesting indeed to know (in due time) what would be their functionalities in future version -- being able to tag single annotations in addition to files would offer attractive opportunities to sort relevant information in a meaningful way: especially if such tags could be exported together with the annotation.

At the moment there is only the possibility to colour highlighted portions of the text differently, and it is possible to 'mark' distinct snippets that way. Tagging them would of course make the entire operation more granular and ease the filing process.

I appreciate your work immensely.