Installed plugin askes every time if it is installed!

Using Zotero on the laptop with High Sierra and actualised Firefox, EACH time I want to transmit a book or article from Firefox to Zotero the first time the day, I have to confirm that the plugin to do so is installed. The question comes from the installed plugin.

Is this supposed to be something intelligent???
  • That's not what it's asking you.

It's asking you if Zotero is running, not installed, and confirming that you want to save directly to your web library instead of saving to the Zotero app. If you say yes, it won't prompt you again until after it has seen the Zotero app once, and then it will ask you again if it's no longer running.

As long as you can install Zotero on your current computer, you should always have Zotero open when trying to save from your browser.
  • So it's nonsense too because Zotero is a start object on both Macs and therefore always running.

Yes, I know: A programm cannot store anything if not running. That's quiete logic and even available to my modeste intelligence.
  • First, please read through this before posting here further: https://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#etiquette

If you're getting the "Is Zotero running?" message when Zotero is open, see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connector_zotero_unavailable for troubleshooting. But it shouldn't ask you again unless it actually does connect to the app and then the app goes away again, so generally this should not appear more than once if there really is just something blocking it from connecting to the app.
    Yes, I know: A programm cannot store anything if not running. That's quiete logic and even available to my modeste intelligence.
    No, again, what you're agreeing to in the dialog is to save directly to the online library, so it is possible to save without the app open. The experience is just a bit better with the app open.
  • edited August 14, 2021
    (And if you're not actually referring to the "Is Zotero running?" dialog, I don't know what you're referring to, and we'd want to know the exact text of the message. "Installed plugin askes every time if it is installed" doesn't describe anything in Zotero.)
  • The message:
    -----
    You've installed the Zotero Connection!

The Zotero Connector enablese you "to save items to Zotero" ("..." is given as a link)

If you haven't yet, "download" (link to the download of the z-app and firefox-connector) the standalone Zotero application for the best experience.
    -----
    This message is totally senseless and appears EVERY time I use Firefox after having quit it.
    It tells me, what is the button I just used!
  • Oh, that's a different dialog. Be sure to quote the exact messages you're receiving in the future — it'll save both you and us time.

That's not asking you anything — it's just a first-run dialog welcoming you to the connector, and it's obviously only meant to show up the first time you use it. If you're getting it every day, something is wrong in your browser that's causing the browser storage to be wiped out every day. That would trigger this dialog, but it would also reset all other settings of the connector.

Is this actually happening just once a day, or does it happen every time you restart Firefox? If the latter, if you go to about:config in the address bar and search for dom.storage.enabled, is it set to true or false?
  • Happens always and it is set true.
  • OK, it's something else in your Firefox profile or on your computer, then.

You can try using Refresh Firefox, or you can try creating a new Firefox profile.
  • Thx for proposals.

Just: Why should I refresh the Profile that is functioning on the other computer?
  • I don't know what you mean by that. Something is preventing the Zotero Connector — and possibly any website — from saving to your browser's local storage. The things I suggested are the ways to try to fix that.
This discussion has been closed.