Style Request: Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs

Hello, I wanted to submit a request for a style compatible with the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs (formerly Journal of Studies on Alcohol).

I looked through the forums/site materials and wasn't able to locate any current work with regards to this particular Journal's style. I am not sure if there is another journal that uses the same format, but none of the default styles seem to match.

Given that this style doesn't seem to have more in common with any one other style, I will try to describe the similarities and differences to APA, as that is what I am most familiar with:

In-text citations with more than 2 authors use et al.
"and" is used between 2 authors instead of "&"
All font is standard, no italics or underlining are used
All authors are listed regardless of number of authors
"and" is used before the last author's name instead of "&"
Year is at the end of the reference instead of after authors and is not in parentheses
No comma after the journal title
Colon after volume instead of comma
Comma after page numbers, and before the year

Here is a description and examples from the journal's website:
http://www.jsad.com/jsad/static/contributors.html

In-text citations
Citations in text should include the author's name and year of publication. With more than two authors, the text citation should contain the name of the first author followed by "et al." and the date of the publication. If reference is made to more than one publication by the same authors in the same year, suffixes a, b, c, etc. should be added to the year, both in the text citation and in the reference list (e.g., use citations "Smith et al. 1991a" and "Smith et al. 1991b" even if the subsequent authors in the reference are different). The "a," "b," and "c" are determined by the order of the references in the reference list.

Reference List
The text citations are to be arranged alphabetically by author and not numbered in the reference list. The alphabetizing of the reference list is done by first author, then second author, then third author, etc., regardless of the number of authors. If there is more than one publication by the exact same authors, citations are then ordered chronologically by year, with "submitted for publication" and "in press" papers listed after the most recent year. If publications have identical authors and years, they are then ordered alphabetically by the first word in the title. See the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Fifth Edition, for more information on alphabetizing references (specifically "Order of several works by the same first author" [pp. 219-221]).

Individual References in List
Each journal reference should be arranged as follows: all authors' names and initials, title of the cited article, title of the journal in which the article appeared, volume number of the journal, inclusive pagination, and the year of publication. References in the list should be typed in a standard font with ordinary punctuation and case.

Goodwin, D.W., Schulsinger, S., Harnansen, L., Guze, S.B., and Winokur, G. Alcohol problems in adoptees raised apart from alcoholic biological parents. Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 28: 238-243, 1973.

Pert, C.B. and Snyder, S.H. Opiate receptor: Demonstration in nervous tissue. Science 179: 1011-1014, 1973.

Personal/Unpublished observations and or communications
Citations of personal communications or unpublished observations should be given in parentheses at the appropriate place in the text, not in the list of references. If a paper has been submitted for publication but has not yet been accepted, the reference should include the authors' names and the title of the article, followed by "submitted for publication." A paper may not be cited as "in press" unless it has been accepted for publication, and the journal name must be given.

Books
Book references should include the author or editors; the title, the city, and state of publication; the publisher; and the year of publication.

Mendelson, J.H. and Mello, N.K. (Eds.) The Diagnosis and Treatment of Alcoholism, New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1979.

Kissin, B. and Begleiter, H. (Eds.) The Pathogenesis of Alcoholism: Biological Factors. The Biology of Alcoholism, Vol. 7, New York: Plenum Press, 1983.

Book Chapters
Chapters in edited books should include all authors' names, the title of the article, the editors' names, the book title, the city and state of publication, the publisher, the year, and the chapter pages.

Griffiths, R.R., Bigelow, G., and Henningfield, J.E. Similarities in animal and human drug taking behavior. In: Mello, N.K. (Ed.) Advances in Substance Abuse, Behavioral and Biological Research, Vol. 1, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, Inc., 1980, pp. 1-90.

Jaffe, J.H. Drug addiction and drug abuse. In: Gilman, A.G., Goodman, L.S., and Gilman, A. (Eds.) The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics (5th Edition), New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc., 1980, pp. 535-584.

Corporate Authors and Government Publications
Krasnegor, N.A. (Ed.) Self-Administration of Abused Substances: Methods for a study, NIDA Research Monograph No. 20, DHEW Publication No. (ADM) 78-727, Washington: Government Printing Office, 1978.
  • hey - I can do this for you - but the style really has nothing to do with APA - so adapting from APA would involve a lot of changes -
    could you look through the style repository for something that is a bit more similar and specify differences to that?
    http://www.zotero.org/styles
    uncheck the "show dependent styles" box
  • edited September 30, 2009
    This must be a really annoying task, those references all are just different enough from each other! I think this is one that might help:

Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology

2 main differences are that the in-text citation is by name and not by #, which also means that the reference list is alphabetized by name and is not numbered. The other major difference is that for journals, the year goes at the end rather than in the middle.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need me to look for another one more compatible.

Thanks,
    -Nicole
  • OK,I'll have a look.
  • go here
    http://gist.github.com/198367
    download using the Raw link on the top right
    install by dragging to Firefox.
    Should be mostly right, but please take a close look and make an effort to outline ALL differences so I can get this right.
  • Thanks so much, i will take a look ASAP and let you know if there are additional edits needed.
  • Sorry, dragging to firefox? I opened the file in firefox, where specifically should I drag it to (i.e. program files, zotero screen, etc?)
  • Nevermind, I figured out what you meant. Everything looks great so far, I will let you know if I find anything
  • Just wanted to say thanks so much, I submitted the article and there didn't seem to be any problems with the references. The only thing I had to manually change were abbreviations to the journals, but I think that has more to do with my library's formatting then the reference style you designed for this journal. I also added periods into the journal abbreviations that were already correct. Thanks again!
  • great. Yes, you're right, the abbreviations have currently nothing to do with the style. There is talk about changing that (having styles call on lists of journal abbreviations, essentially), but that will take a while.
  • committed the style to the repository
  • Adam, just heard back and got positive reviews from the Journal, but they have switched to APA style! Sorry for making you do that work, and thanks so much for your help, can we reclassify this journal as APA compatible?
  • Oops, there is one difference between JSAD and APA 6th edition:

JSAD style differs from APA style for in-text citations in two regards: (1) JSAD uses "and" rather than "&" for parenthetical citations for articles having two authors and (2) JSAD uses "et al." after the first author's surname on the first and all subsequent in-text citations for any reference with three or more authors. (However, authors may submit articles with in-text citations in APA style, and, if the article is accepted, the citations will be fixed by journal staff during copyediting.)

Multiple works for same first author: If two or more references in the list have the same first author, have three or more authors, and were published in the same year (e.g., an article by Arthur, Cleveland, and Harrison published in 1988 and a second article published by Arthur, McKinley, and Hayes also in 1988), the first article would become "1988a" and the second would become "1988b" in the reference list. On the first and all subsequent in-text citations, Arthur, Cleveland, and Harrison should be cited "Arthur et al., 1988a," and Arthur, McKinley, and Hayes should be cited "Arthur et al., 1988b."
  • congratulations, first of all.
    I've seen this, will be a bit until I get to this, but it's on my radar.
  • Thanks so much!
  • OK, committed the style, thanks for letting me know about the change.
  • Sorry to bug you, one more thing...when I reformatted my references with the updated JSAD style, the reference list reflects the changes in the in-text formatting and only includes one or two authors rather than the APA Style, 6th edition formatting of listing up to 7 authors and adding ... between the 6th and last author's name if their are more than 7. Thanks again!
  • I hate to be a pest, but I am hoping to submit this today or tomorrow, is there any way for me to format the reference list differently then I format the in-text citations (that way I could just do the reference list in APA format.
  • ok - it prints up to seven authors and then uses et al. now - the ... - isn't possible.