Incomplete Bibliography Entry

Two users in a group experiencing this problem:

User #1. Last week I entered a journal article into my Zotero database. When I generated a bibliography entry for that journal article the page numbers did not show up. I deleted the page numbers in Zotero, re-entered them, tried two different formats (951-972 and 951-72), quit Zotero, closed Word, started everything back up, refreshed, etc. Nothing worked. I finally manually entered the page #s in the bibliography. The next time I refreshed Zotero, a dialog box popped up alerting me that bibliography entry had been edited and asking if I wanted to keep the edits. I confirmed I wanted to keep the edits, and that entry appears to be stable.

User #2. Yesterday, a colleague working in the same database experienced a similar problem. In her case, (again for a journal article), the name of the journal, volume, page numbers, and publication date were all missing. I checked her entry. It looked fine. I then opened a test document and created a bibliography entry using that reference. In my test document the bibliography was perfect.

What is the best approach for us to adopt when this happens?

Thank you,
Elizabeth Belasco (User #1)
Carmi Orenstein (User #2)
  • In the vast majority of situations, you shouldn't edit citations or bibliography entries in the document manually. If you're not seeing what you expect, we'd need to know the citation style you're using, the output you're getting, and what you're expecting.

But it sounds like you may be referring to citations/notes rather than bibliography entries, since that's what the modification warning that Zotero shows is about. For a citation or note, you'd add a page number by customizing the citation. The page range in the Zotero entry is irrelevant in that case, since that's about the entire entry.
    In her case, (again for a journal article), the name of the journal, volume, page numbers, and publication date were all missing.
    Most likely she cited a different item, deleted it (instead of merging items), and added or edited a different item with correct metadata. You can always see the item associated with the citation — if there is one — by clicking on the citation (not the bibliography entry), clicking Add/Edit Citation, clicking on the blue bubble, and looking for an "Open in [library]" button at the bottom. If there's no button, the item no longer exists in Zotero or was created in a different library.