"File was not uploaded as it would exceed storage" error message (with plenty of storage available)

Hello All - I´ve searched the Forum for information on this issue but did not find anything. I am getting an error message, "File was not uploaded as it would exceed storage," and when I check my storage availability, it shows 3.8 MG available (I upgraded to 6 MB last week). I've tried logging in and out of the account, closing and reopening the app, but I still get the error message. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • edited July 30, 2021
    Hmm. I think adamsmith's response here might point you in the right direction:
    As the message says, other Zotero data still syncs even if files don't sync. There are generally three possible reasons for the message you're getting.
    1. You are in a group where the group owner has exhausted their storage quota. Note that in that case your other files would also still sync.
    2. You're syncing from a different account than the one you're looking at online
    3. There is one large file that's preventing the sync, e.g. a movie that's by itself over 300MB. The error message should point to a specific file that exceeds your storage quota.
    Could you check on those three possibilities and let me know what you find?
  • @edpotter: Yes, you have no data or files uploaded to the personal library for the account you're posting from, and you're not the owner of the group you're an admin of.

If you're syncing with a different account and would like to transfer your storage subscription to that account, you can email storage@zotero.org.

If this is about the group, the current owner can transfer it to you from the group settings on the website.
  • Thanks for your kind response, AbeJellinek. Here's some context: the group owner is a colleague in Belgium; I am an administrator based in the US. Together we are creating an online library for a research project we are running, with no content being stored in our personal libraries. Last week I purchased the additional 6 MB of storage as we receive some warnings we were near the free account limit.
    Are we having this issue because I am not the "owner" of the account (where our shared online library resides)? Does that mean that the 6MB storage is only for my personal account and not the owner's account? Is Zotero looking at the owner's account and saying there is not enough storage there?
    In response to your 3 questions:
    1. I don't know if the owner has exhausted his storage quota, but I will check on that.
    2. I'm syncing from a different account than the one I'm looking at online - the online library is on the owners' account, but I am adding files, and so is he.
    3. I checked for large files that I was trying to upload and have reduced the size of files using Adobe Acrobat. Still no change with the error issue.
    Many thanks for your advice and patience!
  • @edpotter: Just see my response — I explained this.
  • Hello dstillman - many thanks for your feedback! In my response to AbeJellinek above, I provided some additional context to my situation. I think I may have been confused about separate accounts between an owner and an administrator with one shared online library on the owner's site. As I purchased the additional 6MB of storage (I see now that it is only valid for my own account and not our shared library) and have posted most of the files online that are backed up and synced with my app, would it be best for the owner to transfer ownership to me? Many thanks!
  • Yes, if you want to use your storage for the group, the owner needs to transfer the group to you.

From the storage page:
    Group file storage always draws from the storage account of the group owner.
    (6 GB, not 6 MB)
  • @edpotter: To be clear, your being the one who uploaded most of the files is irrelevant. Anyone with access can add files. It's just that group storage counts against the group owner's storage plan.
  • Many thanks to both of you!