Random files will not launch (all PDFs)

Hi, all of a sudden a bunch of our files in a specific folder are not opening up when double clicking, however others in the same folder are opening just fine. We recently ran out of storage, and I upgraded the account, but other than that nothing else has changed. Has anyone else seen something like this? Random files throughout a folder not opening anymore?
  • What's happening, exactly?
  • My users are navigating to a specific folder that they have been working on recently, they double click the file they need and it does nothing. Will not launch, however you go a few files down and those launch with no issues. They are all PDFs. One of them received an error today during upload that we had run out of storage. Do you think it's possible those files uploaded accidentally as broken links and essentially launch to nothing? I am seeing if my folks can re-upload those same files now that we have more storage to see if anything changes.
  • edited July 26, 2021
    "does nothing" is generally not a possibility unless it's just a regular item with no attachment and no URL or DOI.

If they're getting a file-not-found error, it just means the file hasn't synced, either to the online library or to their computer. In that case, see Files Not Syncing. If the library was out of storage and you've now added a storage plan, this would be resolved automatically once the person who added the file originally syncs and the file uploads.

If you really think it's doing nothing, we'd want to see a Debug ID for double-clicking on the item and having nothing happen, as well as the URL to the item in the online library.
  • Ok got it. And yes it literally "does nothing" when you double click on it. No error messages or anything. So let me see if I can get you the Debug ID when I try it since it happens to me too.
  • D1024328082
  • That's from the Zotero Connector, not Zotero.

And:
    as well as the URL to the item in the online library
  • URL to one affected file: https://www.zotero.org/groups/2452227/rebellion/collections/ISPI5BIW/items/5GFGPJWN/collection

D1480504876 from Zotero. I also see now the error message being displayed on the client which indicates the file was moved, deleted or hasn't synced yet. The user that was trying to upload these files said she was using the web browser exclusively. Let me know if anything else stands out from the output sent. Thank you.
  • Right, so again, if you're just getting the file-not-found dialog, see Files Not Syncing. That file just hasn't been uploaded by whoever added it.
  • im all set. figured out what was going on. thank you for your time.