Linked file - Mac issue

edited July 23, 2021
Hello, I'm trying to link a huge collection of PDF files stored in my computer (macOS10.13.6 and latest version of Zotero installed).
When I try the Drag and drop method holding the Cmd+Option and following the recommendation ("On macOS, it may be necessary to allow the Zotero window to come to the front before letting go for the modifier key to take effect"), Zotero copies anyway the pdf files to library instead of a making links...
The "new item" method still works, but it takes much more time to import so many files... Any idea what can be the issue?
All the best
  • Solution found!
    I forgot to uncheck the automatic PDF file import, sorry for the inconvenience.
  • edited July 23, 2021
    What do you mean by "automatic PDF file import"? This sounds like a misunderstanding.

Creating linked files instead of stored files from files on your computer doesn't have anything to do with any Zotero settings. The "Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items" preference is purely about saving from the web, and you certainly don't want to turn that off if you care about PDF files (but you can use ZotFile to convert them to linked files).
  • @dstillman I see, thank you for the explanation.
    Actually my Zotero time to time stop making links to my pdf files when I use the drag & drop method. Then I need to restart zotero and it works again (so it's a minor issue).