More than one Zotero

So, I have decided to upgrade from Zotero 1.0 to 2.0
Up until now, I have used Zotero on two computers - my home desktop and a portable computer. Both have Zotero 1.0 installed, and I have kept them in synch by always synching the zotero folder on the machine I have been using to the zotero folder on the other computer before using it. This has worked well, and has also ensured I always have a backup.
When I upgrade to Zotero 2.0, which is safer: Should I uninstall Zotero on one computer, then upgrade the other, then synch it, then reinstall Zotero on the first computer, and then synch that one? OR can I just ugrade to Zotero 2.0 on both computers and then synch them?
  • I would upgrade on one machine, and sync it. If that works fine (it should), then update the other, and either sync, or restore from server (if the content is the same).
  • Yes, if the content is the same, and you upgrade both and sync them, you'll get duplicates of everything.

So if the content is the same, you need to Restore from Server from the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero prefs on the second computer after entering your account credentials and before syncing a first time. (To be safe, turn off "Sync automatically" before entering your username and password. You can turn it back on after restoring from the server.)

I'll update the documentation with a note about this.
  • Thanks.

I already see my next question coming. The vast majority of my stuff is from PubMed using a university account, so I can get pdf's anywhere if needed. However, it is easier to keep them available in Zotero on the two computers I use the most (the portable and the desktop). Instead of using the internet and WebDAV, can I just use a shared folder (Windows 98) on my home intranet to synch the files using Zotero (instead of a WebDAV URL)? If not, will just synching the Storage folder when needed do the trick?