Feature request - undo button and updates to File Sync option under reset

Even if zotero adds a trash bin in Group Lib (which would be great), an undo button is an even more needed function. I speak from experience. I just accidentally deleted a big chunk of our Group Lib. Ugg.

But you also, we might wish to expand the reset options now that we have a group lib files. When I tried to undo my delete via a reset (sync back from Zotero server to local), it re synced the My Lib fine, but seemed to do a standard sync to the Group lib files ... causing same loss of the Group Lib files on the zotero server as well. (I am positive I picked the right option, and I do not have auto sync on either.)

Now, even if this is fixed, it underscores a critical limitation of the Group Lib. A new user could accidentally could cause havoc with a groups invested effort. (say auto sync propagates error before it could be corrected.) (or even an disgruntled user- intentionally)

Perhaps a solution could (ideally) be permitting a second backup of the group lib to a non zotero cloud archive server under sole control of the administrator? (Say once every day, so it has limited impact on the performance zotero servers). I guess even now an administrator could manually "back up" the Group lib to his My Lib, stored on a cloud for archive purposes. But this is not that easy, as it seems that if one moves a block of items from one lib to another and ANY item in that block of items is already in the target lib, then the specific collection is not highlighted, so the move is not permitted.

Just some fodder for thought....
  • When I tried to undo my delete via a reset (sync back from Zotero server to local), it re synced the My Lib fine, but seemed to do a standard sync to the Group lib files ... causing same loss of the Group Lib files on the zotero server as well.
    That's not possible—your group changes had to have been synced up to the server already. "Restore from Server" simply deletes the entire database file on disk and syncs. Nothing more to it than that.

Note that this is different from "Full Sync", which I suggested you try to fix another issue in another thread.
    A new user could accidentally could cause havoc with a groups invested effort.
    A number of people have requested additional permissions options that prevent editing or deleting of non-user-owned group items but still allow adding of new items, and these will be implemented eventually.
  • >That's not possible—your group changes had to have been synced up to the server already. "Restore from Server" simply deletes the entire database file on disk and syncs. Nothing more to it than that.

I suspect you are right... as after I wrote I found all the items I thought I deleted in the root Group Library. So what I actually did was I deleted a chunk of collections. (But I see now that just deleting a collection does not mean the items in those collections are gone from the Library.)

So what I saw on sync was that the COLLECTION structure of the Group Lib (on which I made the error) was propagated to the Zotero Server and back down to my 2nd PC. The result was a a few hours of recreating and refilling...but it seems no items were lost.

Again, thanks for all your amazing work on this project!