Troubleshooting for trying to save Zotero to my IPad

Hello,

I am trying to use the Zotero plug in on my device but I am running into errors whilst doing this and I am unsure on how to resolve this?

I have downloaded the safari Zotero connector and the PaperShip app from the AppStore. I have also added the bookmark and edited the link to the one which was provided.

When I initially click on the bookmark icon on Safari, it takes me to Zotero pop up log in page and once I have logged in, an icon also appears on the top right stating ‘ An error occurred saving with PubMed Central. Attempting to save using Save as Webpage instead.’.

Once I have entered in my correct log in credentials, it redirects me back to the log in pop up for a second time, I then try to log in again and it flags up with another message on the top right saying ‘ An error occurred while saving this item. Try again, and if the issue persists see Getting Help for more information.’.

The log in pop up then states ‘Authorisation complete.’ But it does not import at all.

Here are the details for my device and software being used:

Device model: iPad
System name: iOS
System version: 14.4.2
PaperShip version: 3.8.5 (177)
API platform: Zotero
Zotero File Storage

It is unable to save my desired webpage, I have tried this with numerous articles including a generic one on the NY times which is flagging up with the exact same error.

Could I please receive some help or assistance in the matter please, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Khalid.
  • We don't have anything to do with the PaperShip app. We have an iOS app in beta that you can sign up for. Once you have that, you can save to Zotero from the Share sheet.

Bookmarklets generally no longer work reliably due to security features in modern browsers.
  • Thank you for clearing that up!

I have followed the link to download the beta for my iPad but once downloaded, there seems that there is no way to launch it, it appears as an unsupported file type.

Any suggestions?
  • I don't know what you're referring to there, but I think that's some sort of misunderstanding. The beta is something you have to sign up for and be invited to, and then you'll receive an email from Apple with setup instructions.
  • Like Khalidmitha above I followed the download the beta link for my iPad, and couldn’t launch anything - you say we need to be invited but how do you get invited by email - there was only a download hotlink, not a sign up box that I can find. Have only just signed up for Zotero, mainly for use on iPad because that’s how I do most of my writing and am totally confused now.
  • @LesleyMcl: You haven't signed up for the beta, at least with the account you're posting from. We invite new people who have signed up approximately once a week.

But you should also understand that the iOS app is a companion app to the Zotero desktop app, not a replacement for it. The desktop app has far more functionality and is what would want to be using for any significant work.