Adds-On Manager Empty

I don't have any thing in the Adds-On Manager. So when I type something in Word at try to connect to Zotero it says

"Zotero could not load the component necessary to communicate with your word processor. Go to Tools → Add-ons → Extensions in Zotero and make sure that the extension for your word processor is enabled."

But when I open extensions in Zotero, it is empty and says "You don't have any add-ons of this type installed"

I have tried reinstalling Zotero and restarting the computer but nothing happens.
  • Can you provide a Report ID?

Try deleting extensions.json in your Zotero profile directory and restarting Zotero.
  • I have deleted extensions.json from the Zotero profile directory. That did not affect the problem.

The following was provided:

[JavaScript Error: "Zotero could not load the component necessary to communicate with your word processor. Go to Tools → Add-ons → Extensions in Zotero and make sure that the extension for your word processor is enabled."]

version => 5.0.96.2, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 6.3; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.96.2, extensions =>

Report ID: 879964184
  • If you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions, are there subfolders?
  • Yes, there are.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org
    and
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org

Within the Word Integration file there is
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install

which contains the zotero.dotm and the zotero extension appear in the word docs.
  • If you create a new Zotero profile, do the extensions show in in Add-ons?
  • Ok, when I created a new profile the extensions now appear in the Add-ons. Thank you so much
  • edited June 23, 2021
    That wasn't meant to be a fix, though. It just means there's a problem in your original profile, which you should be able to continue to use.

If you close Zotero and delete extensions.json and any other files beginning with 'extensions' (including an 'extensions' folder) in your Zotero profile directory, does that help? If not, we can try some additional files.

If you really don't mind recreating all your previous settings, you can point the new profile at your original Zotero data directory from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences. To avoid future confusion, you'd then want to delete the old profile from the Profile Manager and the new data directory created by the new profile (which should be called "Zotero [name of profile]" in your home folder).