Zotero Keeps Failing

Hello – I have been a dedicated Zotero user for over 10 years and I cannot imagine academic life without it. I am now one week from submitting my tenure and promotion package and I'm 90% complete with my personal statement. But for reasons i cannot explain, Zotero keeps failing. This seems (?) to be occurring especially when i return to the document after it's been sitting idle for a while or over night. More specifically, all of the in-text citations are present, but the Bibliography has disappeared and when I try to Refresh or re-add the Bib by clicking "Add/Edit Biliography" in the MS Word (version 16.5) file, nothing happens.

I then go through a frantic process of saving the document in a new file name (which doesn't seem to help), then rebooting both Zotero and MSWord, or just restarting the whole computer. I just did that, and voila, when i opened up the most recent version of the MSWord doc, the bibliography was still missing but I was able to reinsert the Bib by clicking on "Add/Edit Biliography"

SO....I'm back to a working up-to-date file with working Zotero links + full Bib. HOWEVER, I have now lost about 2 hours on this issue over the past several days and endured no small amount of stress trying to reclaim a working file with active links + Bib. Importantly, the issue keeps recurring and I'm concerned that there is some sort of systemic problem.

Please advise.
-Theo
  • If this is a large document, you're likely just not waiting long enough for the bibliography to be regenerated.

If you think inserting a bibliography isn't working, open the Help → Debug Output Logging → View Output window, which will let you see if things are happening. If it's not working, submit the output and post the Debug ID here and we can take a look.
  • Belated thanks – the problem seems to have resolved itself, as the bibliography is now transferring with live links each time I save a new version. Thanks for your response.