Intext citations not active

Hi
I have been using Zotero for four years and never had this problem. I have opened my 80,000 word document and the intext citations appear as if they are not linked to the Zotero database (they are not grey and do not highlight when I click them). And I am unable to generate a bibliography. I am able to add new references, which are then linked.
I recently switched off the checkbox 'automatically update citations' but at the time, everything still worked.
Does anyone have any idea how to trouble shoot this.
Thanks
Elroy
  • I've just checked another 1,000 word document and all the intext citations are working and I can add references and a bibliography. Similar to the large document, 'automatically update citations' is unchecked.
  • Unchecking "automatically update citations" has definitely not caused this. See the link above, that lists all the possible reasons for why citations are not linked.
  • Thanks adomasven, that is very helpful. It does seem like I may have inadvertently flattened them by checking the 'Unlink Citations' button. I was just trying to stop zotero from running through all the citations whenever I added a new one. Clearly the 'automatically update citations' was the right one but 'unlink citations' the wrong one! The last version I can find is 28 May so I have some fixing to do. Very good to know what the problem is though so thanks for getting back to me and sending this link. elroy
  • Mostly unrelated to Zotero, but just in case you're not aware: in many cases using "Compare" in Word (under "Review") can be very useful to combine a more recent version -- but with unlinked Zotero citations -- to an older version with working citations.