Missing reference folder

I recently sent an article to a collaborator and on its return Zotero no longer recognises the references in the article. Moreover, the folder for this particular project is now empty. The collaborator used Word on a PC, whereas I used Word on a Mac. Other than that I can't think why this has occurred. It is very frustrating and if anyone has any tips I would be very appreciative. Thanks
  • Thanks dstillman, but none of those have occurred with my document. Also, older versions that have not been sent to a collaborator also do not show active citations. Moreover, the folder is now completely missing from Zotero.
  • Zotero stores data in standard Word fields, and if you don't have those anymore, you or someone else did one of those things to the document to flatten the fields — it wouldn't have anything to do with Zotero itself unless you used the plugin's "Unlink Citations" button. As explained on that page, you can toggle Word field codes in the document to confirm that the fields are actually flattened.

A collection missing from your Zotero library wouldn't be related to this at all. That would happen if you deleted a collection by mistake. If you just did so within the last day, you can try to restore from one of your last automatic backups.