An error occurred while saving item ...

Help! Dont know why but it stopped working.
First,I tried only saving one article and it worked but when I tried saving the rest of the articles on the page, it stopped working.
I also tried saving the troubleshooting webpage and it worksed?!
Not sure if it has anything to do with EBSCO.
I also updated my systems, browser system, checked the Zotero update but it still won't save articles. For a while, it would load the articles but it would stop and show an error box say that "an error occurred while saving this item. See troubleshooting translator issues for more information"
  • Heyyy, thanks for the reply!
    How come I can do 100 articles at a time in the Science Direct database but not EBSCOhost? I am not really interested in adding 300+ articles individually to the account folder. Is there another way to fix it? It worked in EBSCOhost a week ago, and I don't think anything changed since??
  • Bot detection is a black box, not much we can say or do about what EBSCO does and why. Note the advice on importing metadata in the kb article.

Generally speaking google scholar's bot detection is most easily triggered, followed by Proquest and EBSCO. Publisher sites, including Sciencedirect, tend to be much more relaxed. I'm not sure we've every heard of any issue from people being rate limited when using Zotero on a publisher's site.
  • I don't know why this is happening to me and not to other people. It also won't save articles with Oxford academic Journals. This is so frustrating!
  • I concur that Oxford University Press sometimes has limits that are very low. Other times I seem to have no limits from OUP. If you want full abstracts from OUP you will need to pay close attention -- sometimes the download will only contain the first 200 characters and you will need to cut-and-paste.

In my experience, APA PsychNET it gated at about 5/minute regardless of how few total. A proper photo CAPTCHA response is required and is _slow_ to release. AS I said on another thread, I get around the PsychNET limits by pasting the DOI into the Magic Wand and copying the abstract text to the Zotero record. I can do this as rapidly as my hand can move the mouse to cut and paste.

BMJ group demands a CAPTCHA after (it seems) 150 requests in 30 minutes but it seems to then ignore you for at least 24 hours. -- I just yesterday encountered this with downloading abstracts from a conference proceedings published in one of their journals.

• I don't know why this is happening to me and not to other people.
    Not sure why you think this isn't happening to other people. There's a dedicated help page for this specifically because this does happen to many people.

I didn't realize Oxford used rate limiting. Is it the same scenario where you can initially download and it then fails? It's always possible there are different issues on different sites.
  • Hey, happened to me also on science direct, the same msg. an error occurred while saving this item. I went through troubleshooting, nothing resolved the issue. I am using Chrome. It works on other pages it seems, and it also worked on SD, stopped after some pages.

ID: D166263535

Link:https://www.sciencedirect.com/search?offset=100&qs=gabra1, addiction&show=100

• edited February 22, 2022
    If import stops working after importing a (relatively) large number of items in bulk from a given site, it's almost always https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/site_access_limits

Edit: sorry, I see that's already linked above -- but yes, almost certainly the same issue.