ZIE - problem solving needed

Message - Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
Report 1969849609
Zotero version: 5.096.2
Word Version: 365 MSO (16.0.14026.20270) 64-bit

Hello Zoterans, love your product, am not in love with current problem.
I followed the instructions for the above ZIE message, here are the results, needless to say none of them worked...

1. Make sure most recent versions - i believe so
2. disable track changes - not turned on, don't use them
3. Image Captions - N/a
4. Copy/paste doc to new - great until i save the document, once saved, interface doesn't work
5. save as - as above
6. on hard drive - yes, still no solution
7. can't change the biblio style - same error message
8. Delete bibilo - Hadn't yet set up the biblio for the document
9. Libre - n/a
10. halving doc to isolate - no issues found in either of the first two halves so i didn't continue

in summary, am at my wits end with this
- haven't had this problem for the 12 months or so i have been using Zotero.
- the problem started on Thursday 17/6, i believe said yes to system update on that day. i have since deleted those updates and while it may have solved the problem the first time, it hasn't since
- i have checked random other WORD documents and the link doesn't work in anything
- I tried to reinstall the word Plugin but got a message saying Word was open - it wasn't
- also tried to delete the .zotm from the file explorer and got same message about Word being open when it wasn't.

In a word
Help!
  • Does it work in a new document? As it says at the top, those troubleshooting steps only apply if it's working in a new document but failing in an existing one.
    I tried to reinstall the word Plugin but got a message saying Word was open - it wasn't
    Have you restarted your computer?