Glitches with OSCOLA formatting

Hi, so I'm having an odd couple of problems on a document. My three other co-authors and I are working off of a group bibliography for our citations. We are trying to finalise our report and are having some issues. I have merged duplicate citations; I cite an author multiple times in my chapter, and everything looks okay. But it reverts to a full citation in the second chapter. Numbers are continuous through the entire document.
Another issue is in formatting. There are several instances in which, in the footnotes, the author is listed by last name/first name (wrong) and remains this way in the bibliography (correct). There appears to be no rhyme or reason; some wonky footnotes are journal articles, others are books, some are book chapters. Some footnotes appear accurate, but in the bibliography, it's First Name/Last Name (wrong). It's very confusing and no matter how I try and fix it, nothing updates.
I'm using a Microsoft Office Word for Mac, Zotero version 5.0.96.2

Thanks in advance
  • The first issue, as I mentioned on Twitter, is most likely that the item has been cited from multiple libraries. If that's the case, unfortunately, you can't merge across libraries, so your best option is probably to re-insert from the same library.

The second issue, could you paste some examples here? It's essentially impossible for Zotero's OSCOLA style to make that type of error (it may have others), so my guess would be it's something in the metadata, e.g. switches first/last name, whole name entered in a single field, or something along those lines, but putting looking at full citations may provide additional clues.
  • Thanks for getting back to me. I'll sort out the first issue (or, since it's only affecting one or two notes, ignore it). As for the second, here are some examples:
    *Footnotes*
    Rodríguez, Jorge, ‘El conflicto Estado: Pueblo Mapuche, 1900-1960’ (2012) 27 Universum (Talca) 167

Jorge Pinto Rodríguez, La formación del estado y la nación, y el pueblo mapuche: de la inclusión a la exclusión (Centro de Investigaciones Diego Barros Arana 2003).

Judge, Ryan (tr), ‘National Commission on Political Detention and Torture’, The Chile Reader: History, Culture, Politics (Duke University Press 2014) 460–461.

Ryan Judge (tr), ‘A Pamphlet Promoting Christian Democracy’s Agrarian Reform’, The Chile Reader: History, Culture, Politics (Duke University Press 2014) 357–361.

Judge, Ryan (tr), ‘An Interview with Carmen Saenz’, The Chile Reader: History, Culture, Politics (Duke University Press 2014) 406.

*Bibliography*
    Alicia Pastor Camarasa, ‘Implementation of Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights: Perspectives from Deliberative Democracy’ (2016) 19 Trinity College Law Review 214

Dikgang Moseneke, ‘Foreword’ in Jody Heymann, Aleta Sprague, and Amy Raub (eds), Advancing Equality: How Constitutional Rights Can Make a Difference Worldwide (University of California Press 2020)

Jody Heymann, Aleta Sprague, and Amy Raub, Advancing Equality: How Constitutional Rights Can Make a Difference Worldwide (University of California Press 2020)

Judge R (tr), ‘A Pamphlet Promoting Christian Democracy’s Agrarian Reform’, The Chile Reader: History, Culture, Politics (Duke University Press 2014)

Judge, Ryan (tr), ‘An Interview with Carmen Saenz’, The Chile Reader: History, Culture, Politics (Duke University Press 2014)
  • So the one that's correct is the Ryan Judge "Pamphlet" -- we're expecting the bibliography in the form "Lastname F"

Could you find the Ryan Judge "Interview with Carmen Saenz" in your library (the one you're citing from in that document), right-click --> Create bibliography --> Select OSCOLA + Citations + Clipboard and paste the output here?
  • Sorry, just getting back to this after taking the weekend off. This is what I get:

Judge, Ryan (tr), ‘An Interview with Carmen Saenz’, The Chile Reader: History, Culture, Politics (Duke University Press 2014).
  • Pretty sure that's incorrect data entry in Zotero then. You should have
    Judge, Ryan in two separate fields (you would see a single white rectangle after them). You have "Judge, Ryan" in a single field, either both in the lastname field or in single field mode in Zotero (where you'd see two small white triangles next to the name -- click those to switch to two-field mode).
    (See https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#names for more)
  • Got it, thanks. I have no idea why the entry was like this, as I was the one who made all four and thought I did them exactly the same way. But I had just looked again and realised there were commas where there shouldn't be.
    Thanks for your help!!