ZotFile no longer extracting annotations

• @adamsmith "Just as a word of caution, there's a good chance that ZotFile's extract annotation feature will stop working in the future. " My Zotfile just stopped extracting annotations. I hadn't yet known about the new beta pdf annotator. What can I do now to extract the annotations I have already done? I will go ahead and install the beta but will it help retroactively?
  • @clousley: No, that's a misunderstanding — nothing has changed in the release versions of Zotero or ZotFile in months. While we don't support ZotFile, if you start a new thread and provide more details, someone might be able to help you.
  • Two separate answers:
    1) I'm pretty sure Zotfile is still working fine in the stable version of Zoter, so I'd troubleshoot that if you want to keep using it
    2) The PDF viewer in the beta version does display and extract annotations made in other PDF readers
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I just upgraded computers and in doing so to Big Sur at last, so this is more likely the source of the problem. Usually Zotfile re-names the files and gives me the option to "Extract annotations." That option is not appearing (and none of the files have been re-named) even though the add-on is listed as up-to-date. Any ideas?
  • > 2) The PDF viewer in the beta version does display and extract annotations made in other PDF readers

This is not working for me. I created a highlight and an associated comment/annotation in Acrobat DC, saved the pdf, closed it, and opened the pdf in Zotero beta and I don't see my comment or highlight. Any troubleshooting suggestions?
  • Works for me with Acrobat. Things to check:
    - Did you use standard highlighting or an unusual annotation type?
    - Did you save the PDF to the same file -- use show file and open in Acrobat -- do you see the annotation there?
  • Thanks, not sure the problem but it's working now.
  • I re-installed Zotfile and it is working again. We can close this thread now. I appreciate the help.
This discussion has been closed.