Editing bibliography in OO.o turns unicode characters into question marks

Hi,

I tried to edit an entry in my bibliography (I changed the publication year to 2006 [1975] from 2006), and when Zotero applied the changes, all the non-standard characters in the book's title had turned to question marks in the bibliography.

Before the change, the title looked like this: Ḥaẓẓ al-marᵓati fī l-ᵓIslām
Afterwards it looked like this: ?a?? al-mar?ati f? l-?Isl?m

The other titles in my bibliography that I didn't edit still show the correct characters. When I click on "edit bibliography" again, the edit box shows the correct unicode characters, but they remain as question marks in the document's bibliography, even after I click on the Zotero update button.

For what it's worth, I'm using OpenOffice.org 3.0 on Ubuntu with the latest 2.0 Zotero plugin.

Thanks,

Joe
  • Hi,

something similar here, when I add a bibliography, some, but not all quotation marks are turned into question marks as well, the same happens to em dashes. Interestingly, this happens even for quotations marks associated with my citation style (Chicago, notes with bibliography), e.g.:

Is:

Haslanger, Sally. ??But Mom, Crop-tops Are Cute!? Social Knowledge, Social Structure and Ideology Critique.? Philosophical Issues 17, no. 1 (2007): 70?91.
    Sunstein, Cass R. “Moral heuristics.” Behavioral and Brain Sciences 28 (2005): 531–573.

Should be:

Haslanger, Sally. “‘But Mom, Crop-Tops Are Cute!’ Social Knowledge, Social Structure and Ideology Critique.” Philosophical Issues 17, no. 1 (2007): 70–91.
    Sunstein, Cass R. “Moral heuristics.” Behavioral and Brain Sciences 28 (2005): 531–573.

I’m not sure whether the problem is connected to editing the bibliography; while I did this, deleting and re-inserting the bibliography from scracth did not make any difference. Conversely, adding similar citations in a blank documet did not produce the error, even after editing the bibliography.

Software Used:
    Zotero 2.0b7a
    Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0a5
    Firefox 3.5.5 (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5)
    NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7 (based on OpenOffice 3.0)
    Mac OS X 10.5.8 Intel

Any comments would be appreciated,

cheers

Odin
  • edited December 21, 2009
    I am encountering the same problem. I'm seeing:

Keller, Hans E. ?The Song of Roland: A Mid-Twelfth Century Song of Propaganda for the Capetian Kingdom.? Olifant: A Publication of the Societe Rencesvals, American-Canadian Branch 3 (1976): 242-258. Print.

But should see:

Keller, Hans E. “The Song of Roland: A Mid-Twelfth Century Song of Propaganda for the Capetian Kingdom.” Olifant: A Publication of the Societe Rencesvals, American-Canadian Branch 3 (1976): 242-258. Print.

Very strange as these characters should be available in the document since OpenOffice documents are always UTF-8 (I think).