error

Zotero sends me this error several times: The name of creator ", L, Chaimani, A, Evrenoglou, T, Davidson, M, Grañ..." in one of your items is too long to be synchronized. Shortens the field and and syncs again. What should I do? Thank you
  • edited May 31, 2021
    You should shorten the author field, as it says. There should be a button in the error dialog that takes you to the item in question. As you can see, multiple author names were incorrectly added to a single field.

If that was imported from a website, let us know the URL so we can fix the importer. (If this came from an imported file, it's likely just a problem with the exported data.)
  • Do you remember how you added that item to Zotero? Obviously that should happen in the first place.
  • These are imported files. I have problems with imported files from Pubmed and the Cochrane Library. I see the button in the error dialog but when I go to the "authors" field and click on it I can not delete the names of the authors. Please, can you explain me how to fix multiple author names ? I have to delete some author names? Thanks a lot
  • edited June 1, 2021
    when I go to the "authors" field and click on it I can not delete the names of the authors
    You'd have to say more. The error just means it's a very long single creator field filled with multiple names. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't delete them.

To be clear, the proper solution would be to separate them into multiple names, but if there are a huge number, you'd likely have better luck reimporting the item using the Save to Zotero button, deleting the original item, and emptying the trash.
    These are imported files. I have problems with imported files from Pubmed and the Cochrane Library.
    Can you tell us the exact steps to reproduce one of these items?

Unless you're importing many items at once and running into site access limits, you should always use the Save to Zotero button instead of importing files from websites, since the save button can fix various problems with the metadata provided by sites.
  • It’s the first time I use Zotero, I’m learning to use it now. Now I’m creating a field for every single author, it's okay? As for the steps: I did my research on Pubmed, then I saved the search results in the following format "pubmed-Dietordiet-set.nbib" and I imported the files on Zotero. I couldn’t use Zotero connector with Pubmed and Cochrane.