Zotero in Dualboot:Is there a way for me to access my Zotero files from Windows 10 through Zotero in

I just installed a Linux Mint Dualboot with a small partition, as I wanted to try out Linux for the first time.

I'd also like to try out working with Zotero, but I have my library in the Windows partition. I understand that I could copy the files over to the Linux partition, but then the problem of syncing arises, since I might also want to work on it from Windows from time to time.

For comparison, Obsidian (a markdown editor) in Linux can just refer to the file folder in the Windows partition and just use it normally. I would imagine that this is a bit easier since it's just text files, but is there a way to do this for Zotero as well?

If so, how would I tell Zotero in Linux to look for the file folders in another location so I can work on it from both paritions? Can't figure that out.

• Could you not have an extra partition in a format that is readable by both operating systems and point both Zoteros to that?
    (There might be other issues I might not understand with that though)
  • Ok, any idea how I would do that?
    Thanks!
  • Someone else told me that I could try giving Zotero a custom directory, however Zotero is not seeing the Windows partition at all. In the regular file browser I can see and access the other partition no problem.

Anyone have any ideas on that?
  • Zotero is not seeing the Windows partition at all. In the regular file browser I can see and access the other partition no problem
    You're likely using a sandboxed version of Zotero rather than the official version.

In any case, you're very likely to corrupt your Zotero database by trying to access it across a VM boundary, and we strongly recommend against it. All you have to do is start Zotero on both OSes, or forget to shut down Zotero before stopping the VM, and you'll almost certainly corrupt it.
  • > we strongly recommend against it.

would this be solved by a shared partition? I'm really new to Linux and still figuring stuff out.
    Thanks!
  • Oh, sorry, this is a real dual-boot, not a VM? If you’re completely shutting down each OS before switching to the other, this should be safe, and any method of accessing the partition containing the data directory should be OK.
  • Yes, dual-boot. Thank you!!
  • Now I just got this error message when trying to start my library in Linux:

> [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY) [nsIFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js :: Zotero.IPC</this.init :: line 36" data: no]
    Zotero.IPC</this.init@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js:36:9
    this.init<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:387:7
  • You're probably using an NTFS partition here, which are not writable on most Linux distros when mounted by default. You'll need to make sure that the NTFS partition is writable for Zotero to work.
  • Ok, well, I did it NTFS because a tutorial (https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-shared-storage-drive-for-dual-boot-systems/)
    I was following said to do that. Is there a better format?

Otherwise, how would I get the permission for that partition to write?
  • edited May 28, 2021
    NTFS is fine, but you need a proprietary non-default driver on Linux, like NTFS-3G, which will allow you to mount a NTFS partition with write permissions. It's not a straightforward thing to set up automatic NTFS-3G mounting, but there's plenty of resources online that can help you. You'll know you got it right when you can create new files/folders in the NTFS partition with Linux.

EDIT: NTFS is actually open-source, just not recommended/installed by default because it could technically lead to corruption, although I've used it myself with not issues for years.
  • Ok, well now I know what to look for. Thanks :)
  • Now I just got this error message when trying to start my library in Linux:

> [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY) [nsIFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js :: Zotero.IPC</this.init :: line 36" data: no]
    Zotero.IPC</this.init@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js:36:9
    this.init<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:387:7
  • Check if you are able to create a new file (or folder) on the NTFS partition while booted into Linux. I suspect it has been mounted in read-only mode, in which case you need to ensure it mounts in read/write mode. The way to achieve this will vary depending on which distribution of Linux you're using - I'd recommend looking for guides (or asking on forums) specific to you flavour of Linux.
  • Thanks, I just figured it out! I followed this tutorial (https://askubuntu.com/questions/46588/how-to-automount-ntfs-partitions) on how to auto-mount the drive, after having giving that partition root access. Now it works automatically when I boot up.
    Yay :)