Style Request: French library catalog of the 18th century

edited May 27, 2021
Hello all,
I am looking for a probably rare but simple citation style for books. A French library catalog of the 18th century is to be continued in the previous style, which looks like this:

[title] ([series°number of series]), [first name author last name author [[up to three authors, separated by commas, then "et al." after second]]], ed. [publisher [[as in authors]]]. [place, italic], [publisher, italic], ^[edition, italic][year, italic]. [number of volumes, italic]°vol. [signature, italic].
[Extra, smaller text].
[tags, smaller text].

For example:
Sixteenth-century Northern European drawings (A corpus of drawings in Midwestern collections 3), B.L. Dunbar, ed. R. Munman, E.J. Olszewski. London, Miller, 2012. 2 vol. in-4°.
This publication was discussed in detail by XY 2001.
16th century; Bril, Paul; landscape painting; drawing.

Missing information may be omitted without replacement. Unfortunately, a standard style documentation does not exist... The style "École Pratique des Hautes Études - Sciences historiques et philologiques" contains almost all the information, just in a different order and I unfortunately do not manage to rearrange it. Can someone help me there?
  • Tags aren't available to citations styles, nor is font size -- beyond that, given how specialized this is, I'd expect you to either have to try doing this yourself (we'll help, within reason, as you run into issues) or commission it for pay. Styles done by volunteers are almost all either major style guides or for journals
  • Thank you for your quick reply.
    Since the style mentioned is quite similar, I would give it a try myself. Do I need any software or something?
  • No specialized tools, no: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step There's a code editor built into Zotero and a GUI editor online, though the latter might be a bit trickier because of the available example items for testing.
  • Thanks for your help. It works better than expected. Starting from the style "École Pratique des Hautes Études..." I have so far managed this:

Sixteenth-century Northern European drawings (A corpus of drawings in Midwestern collections n° 3), Burton L Dunbar, , ed. R. Munman, E.J. Olszewski London, Miller, 2012. 2 vol. in-4°.

So the order is correct; I have not yet found the second comma before the editors in the code, but I will at some point. What I don't understand: "n°" is nowhere left in the code, but still in the output. Also, place of publication and publisher and year etc. are all in italics, only "vol." won't... Do you have a tip?
  • n° is set by <text term="issue" form="short"/>

For the italics, we'd have to see the code as you currently have it. Post to pastebin.com or a comparable page for code sharing.
  • https://pastebin.com/PErqwbHe
    This is the code with the last problems described.

I also tried to create a new version that starts from template "Art libraries Society of North America": https://pastebin.com/D3eR81kt
    However, in this case, a comma is missing between author and publisher and the signature and series of a book are not displayed – on the other hand, theses are quoted correctly.

As I wrote in my first post here, it should be a simple citation style for books only (book parts and articles can be treated like books, everything else does not occur).

Maybe you will notice some other weak points?

I would be very happy if you could take a look at my drafts. Thank you very much.