zotero.desktop doesn't open Zotero

I'm on Lubuntu 21.04.

The steps I took to set up Zotero:
1. I downloaded the tarball for Linux for a 64-bits processor.
2. I extracted the tarball, renamed the resulting folder to "Zotero," then moved it to `/opt`.
3. I ran the set_launcher_icon file, which successfully gave zotero.desktop the corresponding icon.
4. I changed the permissions of the dekstop file so I could run it as a program.
5. I checked the option "Trust this executable."
6. I made a symlink at `/usr/share/applications`.

However, the file in `/opt/Zotero` won't open Zotero. Only the shell script does.
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/installation#linux

The goal of these instructions is to be able to run Zotero from the launcher, not launch that file directly.
  • edited May 27, 2021
    Oh, I see. Well, it doesn't open from the launcher either. Any idea why this is the case?
  • edited May 27, 2021
    It doesn't sound like you actually followed the instructions — you did various things that aren't in the instructions and used a different symlink location — but no, we can't help beyond that. The instructions work as written on stock Ubuntu. Lubuntu doesn't use Gnome, from the looks of it, so I don't know if it supports the same desktop files.
  • Yes, you're right: I didn't follow the instructions correctly. I followed them right this time but got the same results.

You say this might not work for Lubuntu. You are probably right. I'll try zotero-deb instead.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • edited May 28, 2021
    zotero-deb just automates the official steps. It shouldn't be any different. The question is just if Gnome-style desktop files are supported on your distro. You'd have to look into that, and inspect other desktop files on your system.
  • zotero-deb works on lubuntu, and doesn't seem to pull in gnome in the process. Zotero shows up under "Office" in the menu.
  • @dstillman

zotero-deb did the trick. I'm not sure about the Gnome-style desktop files stuff. I'm an Ubuntu noob as you might have guessed, but from the looks of it, it was only the desktop file for the Linux installation that wasn't doing it.
  • zotero-deb uses the same kind of desktop file. There will be minimal differences, but the one from the linux install should work, otherwise the deb version also wouldn't work.
  • @emilianoeheyns If that's true, then I'm not sure what I did wrong. Either way, I got Zotero working, so I'm happy about that.
  • I solved this for myself, here's how:

1.- Editing zotero.desktop as follows (use your own path):
    #Exec=bash -c "$(dirname $(realpath $(echo %k | sed -e 's/^file:\/\///')))/zotero -url %U"
    Exec=/home/ruy/snap/Zotero_linux-x86_64/zotero

2.- Copying the file to ~/.local/share/applications/

Hope this helps you