Mention author in text when using number style

In some cases a numbered style is used and one needs to mention the author of one of the references. As an example, suppose you want to write the following sentence:
"In a recent paper Darwin et al discovered that monkeys eat bananas (12)."

Where the references are listed in a numbered style, something like:
11. ....
12. Darwin C., Wallace, A.R., Moneys eat bananas. PLoS Biol 2016; 14.
13. ...

In that sentence it would be very useful if it would be possible to cite the author (or author + year) automatically, avoiding manual typing (and thus errors). Is there such a possibility?
  • No. While there will likely be some version of narrative citation for author/year citations (as in "Smith (1776) says") that might also work for numeric citations in the form Darwin et al. [12], it's very unlikely there'll be an option to just insert the author of a numeric style in the text without the citation directly following it.
  • Would there be any way to do this if the author name is directly followed by the citation? Please do note that I am not looking for a manual citation style, as mentioning the author name would only be done in some cases and not in others.
  • I think that's likely to be possible in a future version, yes, but not possible now.
  • Thanks. I hope this is something that is not too difficult to implement and will be done soon.
  • Yes: Smith [7] is a format that will be available in a future version, but not now.