Feature request Chapters - Book

Hi,

I hope I am not just missing a feature that already exists.

I would love to have a way to relate Chapters to the books they are from. (Sorry, its difficult to explain in English for me)

For edited books I will list the chapters individually, it would be nice to have a way to link the single chapters references to the book reference - and to sort accordingly, so that in the list I would see something like this:

Title Article XYZ
Title ed. Book
...Chapter x
...Chapter y
...Chapter z
Title Thesis XYZ
Title Book XYZ

(if possible collapsable - if folded, the chapters would be "invisible")

If its already possible to do that or if there is a smooth solution with a close to similar effect I would be happy to here about it.

Thanks a lot!
  • Thanks, I support this. I do have a related request, but being a newcomer, maybe I also miss something.

When adding literature from a website via the firefox plugin, it adds the chapters of an edited book, but not the collection itself (e.g. here: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-70412-4#about). Is there a way to have ZOTERO (resp. the plugin) add the collection itself also, AND have them being linked? I sometimes need to "go up" to the collection from the display of a chapter in ZOTERO, wanting to view other contributions to the same collection (e.g. when preparing a review).

Thanks in advance
  • If you use the magic wand tool in Zotero, you can enter either the book’s DOI or the ISBN to add the book if the web page isn’t importing it correctly. You can also right click on the Save to Zotero button in your browser and choose to import using the DOI translator.
  • Linking them on import isn't possible though, no.
  • Thanks. That helps a lot. If one could then link the collection to its contributions, I would be at home with that.
  • I use the Related Items feature for that.
  • Yes, I see. That helps a lot.
    Tw (minor?) issues remain, though:

- If I learnt new info on a compilation (e.g. the number within a series, which sometimes is missing in a catalogue), I still need to amend all individual entries instead of just the "mother" entry.
    - The way of getting from a mother entry to the editable display of the related items is a bit complicated.
  • That's all correct, yes. A more embedded data model has been discussed and the advantages are clear, but it's a fairly significant change to the underlying structure and I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon.