Opening PDFs with the system-default editor rather than Zotero

This discussion was created from comments split from: Navigating long documents in the PDF reader.
  • The new PDF reader really is a massive gift in productivity.

In relation to the bookmarking/TOC editing, I can understand that this may be out of scope for Zotero. What would be helpful then would be a more direct way of opening PDFs with the system-default PDF editor rather than in Zotero.

I use Acrobat Pro features in tandem with Zotero, primarily to delete pages, OCR, and edit PDF bookmarks. I'm fine to keep doing those in Acrobat, of course, but using both would be facilitated by a more convenient way of choosing which editor to use at any given time.
  • I don't know if we'll add this. Just to use one of your examples, if you delete a page in an external PDF reader, any annotations you previously made in Zotero would be on the wrong page. Rotating a page would be similarly problematic. These are generally things you'd want to do once, before you start working on the file in Zotero.

You can always right-click → Show File and open the PDF in an external reader from there, and that seems somewhat appropriate for an advanced operation with potential drawbacks.
  • Thanks - that's a really good point about deleting/rotating pages messing up annotations.

I guess, then, I'd make one more plea for editing bookmark/TOC.
  • Just to follow up on this briefly based on my experience with using the beta. I now find in order to get around not being able to edit bookmarks/TOC, I end up using a specific highlighter color to provide an equivalent way of getting around the document.

For instance, I am currently assessing a couple of dissertations (which are typically submitted as long PDFs but without bookmarks) and so marking up chapter and other headings in orange. It works, but it feels like a kludge.
  • edited May 25, 2021
    @bentle I feel your pain. Zotero, DEVONthink, MarginNote and Preview all lack the ability to ‘Add to Outline/TOC’. It is a continuous point of friction for me. It is such a critical feature for reading to any meaningful degree.